About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Engineer to join our Living Places business unit to work in Telford.
- To support the overall implementation of the core capital maintenance programme including carriageways, traffic, road safety, structures, drainage and parking schemes.
What you'll be doing
As an Assistant Engineer you will:
- Support the Scheme Managers in the overall implementation of the projects;
- Ensure all systems, design information, procedures and quality systems are effectively communicated;
- Support the project delivery team, verifying the work of others, providing technical support;
- Lead or support assurance on projects through conducting audits and regular meetings with project teams, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern, including matters relating to safety, finance or quality;
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant customers at the council including technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site;
- Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure that the company is at the forefront of the industry both technically and in using the latest technologies and standards;
- Provide assistance to the project team, to deliver high performance on the project and create a culture of continuous improvement;
- Ensure that the engineering is efficiently managed so that it is fit for purpose from conception right through installation and maintenance; recognising site conditions and constraints and taking into account CDM, other statutory regulations and customer requirements;
- By using the principles of quality assurance, and where appropriate technical Integrity, ensure the customer requirements are clearly understood and that Quality Control mechanisms are in place that provide assurance that the asset and/or service delivers as designed/required;
- Contribute to the accurate and efficient provision of daily site records and productivity reports weekly and monthly to the scheme manager;
- Provide concise and accurate feedback on project performance against programme and sub contractor outputs;
- Seek to understand and implement the appropriate digital tool sets to support the project execution;
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Previous engineering experience in the discipline of highways engineering is required;
- Up-to-date relevant knowledge of engineering and of industry best practice is required;
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline and a relevant professional qualification, such as GMICE, GradCIHT, or having an ONC/HNC is desirable;
- Experience of supervising sub-contractors is required;
- A valid CSCS card is required;
- Focused and thorough with the appropriate skills to advise senior management when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken;
- Previous experience within the construction or relevant support services industries, together with a strong understanding of technical issues and trends in the relevant sectors;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners and delivery team members under time pressure, and a customer centric, flexible approach;
- A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on engineering excellence, the customer and the business is required;
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We operate according to our Build to Last Values of Lean, Expert, Trusted, Safe and Sustainable.
We support each other to deliver and succeed, placing equal value on all perspectives by embracing diversity and inclusion. Together we deliver powerful new solutions, collaborating with governments, our customers and partners to shape thinking, create skylines and inspire a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.