About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Tunnel Maintenance Operative to join our Highways team to work across the South East.
- To assist in the efficient operation of the M25 Tunnels by undertaking maintenance and other tasks as required by the Maintenance Supervisor.
What you'll be doing
- Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor;
- To oversee the correct operation of the tunnel vehicles by appointed agency drivers ensuring pre-requisite checks are carried out before and after vehicle use;
- To drive the tunnel vehicles when required to either on planned maintenance closures or on reactive works;
- To assist the Technicians to carry out maintenance tasks;
- To complete daily worksheets, and maintenance report sheets where applicable to your works e.g. drive through sheets. vehicle checks etc;
- To observe all safety procedures and instructions;
- To provide escort to appointed sub contractors ensuring that they are compliant with site rules;
- Carry out any work of a manual, semi-skilled or skilled nature of any type of trade description (including out of trade work) under the instructions of the Maintenance Supervisor;
- Any other duties within your capacity as required by the Line Managers;
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of the business Sustainability activities.
Who we're looking for
Qualities and Experience:
- IPAF Trained for MEWPS & Booms;
- Confined space trained;
- CSCS Safety Card;
- All round experience of tunnels maintenance regimes;
- Knowledge of current Health & Safety legislation;
- Ability to work without direct supervision when requested;
- Drive/Operate connect plus vehicles as required and in line with company policy;
- Ability to comply with additional training requirements for sector scheme (sector 22).
- Good customer service skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- A confident and professional manner;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex matrix structure;
- Team player;
- A clear and thorough communication style;
- Clean UK Drivers License;
- HGV class 1 License.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.