About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Business Efficiency Manager to join us to work in the South East.
- To identify opportunities and develop business cases for Lean process improvement projects within the CPS business, including other stakeholders where necessary.
- To teach, coach & mentor employees, Senior Managers and Business Leaders in Lean and other process improvement methodologies. Including six sigma techniques. To engage with lean practitioners across the business to assist in delivery of projects.
- To work closely with the Performance team to facilitate improvement workshops to drive and improve performance across the business.
What you'll be doing
As a Business Efficiency Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Accountable for the delivery of highly complex business improvements using methodologies including Lean, Six Sigma and 8D;
- Accountable for the training, mentoring and coaching of employees nominated as Lean Practitioners in addition to their normal duties;
- Responsible for ensuring that business improvement projects are completed to schedule and deliver business benefits including tangible financial savings, safety improvements, reduced business risk and/or improved customer satisfaction;
- Managing the programme for lean projects across the business;
- Responsible for coaching senior managers in the identification of business improvement opportunities and the development of business cases;
- Responsible for ensuring Lean business improvement business cases are developed and approved for execution to deliver the Business Improvement business plan;
- To act as a role model for Lean and Business Improvement;
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of Connect Plus Services Sustainability activities.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities:
Essential Experience :
- Lean /Continuous Improvement experience from a major UK or international manufacturing, operations or construction business;
- Demonstrated leadership in the delivery of structured business improvement projects with experience leading project teams;
- Delivered a minimum of 10 classroom courses in business improvement, with the follow up coaching of course participants;
- Financial literacy with experience of benefits tracking, long-term business benefits planning and working capital considerations;
- Proficient in working with / supporting colleagues in delivery of their improvements;
- Engineering or science-based education, preferably to degree level or equivalent;
- Experience of structured root cause analysis methodologies, such as 8D or similar Continuous improvement tools;
- Project / Programme management experience.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.