About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Manager to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Boston, Lincolnshire.
On a day to day basis you will be responsible:-
To manage/lead the sustainability/environmental advisors within the allocated area and provide sustainability and environmental co-ordination, support and advice to the projects and regional teams on all aspects of sustainability and the environment, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement. Ensuring contractual and regulatory requirements are delivered;
What you'll be doing
As an Environmental Manager, you will:
- Ensure the projects are complies with all Regulations, Company Policies, DCO and the BMS/EMS and that it is continually improved;
- Ensure that the Project teams are supported to meet their contractual, compliance and business management system requirements;
- Communicate and engage with Projects to implement the E+S strategy;
- Manage the E+S resource to meet the requirements of their Project /Business area;
- Provide E+S Leadership. Advise and guide all levels within the business; Regional Managers, Project Managers, Project Engineers, peers, operatives, office staff and subcontractors;
- Ensure lessons learned are effectively communicated and implemented from incidents and audits;
- Regular communication and promoting engagement with key stakeholders;
- Support their Project /Business area during incident/accident investigations;;
- Support the E+S up-skilling and development of the business operational teams, assisting in the identification of site E+S training needs;
- Develop and manage solutions to meet the appropriate targets associated with the Blueprint and promote activities to drive improvement;
- Promote E+S initiatives and innovations;
- Conduct site E+S inspections, visits & joint tours;
- Be responsible for local audit programme and DCO compliance;
- Share learnings and contribute to the continuous improvement of the HSES strategy via communities of practice;
- Develop case studies that reflect Balfour Beatty innovation and expertise to support efforts in business development and enhance the external reputation of Balfour Beatty;
- Provide regular updates to the Leadership Team against the projects sustainability action plan;
- Manage external stakeholders, regulators and reputation in line with the overall business approach.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Proven experience in the Civils/Utilities industry in an environmental and/or sustainability role;
- Proven experience of leading a team;
- Cost estimation and commercial awareness;
- Degree in relevant field;
- MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point to a high standard;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to operate in a range of environments;
- Able to demonstrate the ability to positively influence environment and sustainability within projects;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Experience in Implementing ISO.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Internal environmental auditor qualification;
- Masters degree in relevant field;
- Health and Safety qualification;
- Knowledge of the Construction Industry;
- Experience working under or delivering a DCO.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.