About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Traffic Signal Engineer to join our Living Places business unit to work in Southampton.
What you'll be doing
As a Traffic Signal Engineer , you will:
- Assist the ITS Team leader in the construction of traffic signal design drawings for various transportation schemes including the commissioning and subsequent validation;
- Assist with the implementation and operation of Bus priority and other ITS elements;
- Ensure that effective maintenance of all the traffic signal equipment and associated equipment is achieved in accordance to the KPI of the ROMTV contract;
- Produce traffic signal models and undertake traffic signal designs;
- Manage the network effectively and assist in the management and co ordination of works on the highway;
- Liaise with customers, and sub-contractors to ensure positive relations are maintained and their observations and comments are taken into account to the benefit of the contract;
- Ensure that all business documentation is completed fully and filed accordingly, and that reporting deadlines are adhered to;
- Prioritise workload to ensure compliance with legal requirements in response to permit applications are met;
- Communicate with a range of different stakeholders;
- Undertake personal training and development as required in order to continue to develop own skill, knowledge and competence.
Who we're looking for
The following experience and qualifications are essential:-
- GCSE grades C or above in Maths, English and Science.
The following experience and qualifications are desirable:-
- 3 A levels C and above;
- Proven understanding of traffic signal principles;
- Proficient with CAD to produce Designs;
- Proven FAT and SAT Experience;
- MOVA/SCOOT Validation would be benifical;
- Good communications skills;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft office software;
- Proficient in problem solving.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Wherever investment in these environments is needed, Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.