About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Estimating Manager to join our Water business unit to work in Peterborough.
- Accountable for all estimating and cost base activities across the @one Alliance with an AMP7 regulatory period valuation of over GBP1.9bn. You will report directly to the Head of Commercial and as a member of the Senior Commercial Leadership Team you will influence the businesses out performance across estimating, commercial, finance, procurement and programme management;
- Leading the Estimating Team you will develop estimating, management and leadership skills & awareness within your team, driving positive pre construction commercial behaviours across the business;
- You and your teams valuation of projects will drive the businesses understanding of performance and liability. Maximising the financial and commercial interests of projects across the business you will manage and control all estimating activities throughout the life cycle of a project, including; management and utilisation of standard product and assembly cost base, utilisation of estimating software packages to minimise bottom up estimating, identifying areas of cost that do not align with baseline or unit cost models, robust and substantiated pricing, strong relationships with our supply chains estimating teams, strong governance controls, quality actual cost feedback and capture driving the accuracy of the cost base.
What you'll be doing
As an Estimating Manager you will:
- Be an integral part of the Senior leadership team for the Water and Waste Water business units, providing front line estimating support. Building strong relationships with the business unit teams and the key stakeholders for the alliance;
- Support and influence the health & safety culture within the @One alliance;
- Be accountable for the continued development and succession planning of you and your estimating team;
- With your team will control the cost base data for the whole business;
- Continually improving the accuracy and detail of this data to enable greater estimating accuracy and efficiency within the team, ensuring the valuation attributed to projects reflects the cost and liability of works to be delivered and reported as a business;
- Utilise digital applications, you and your team will take advantage of product and assembly cost models that will enable the estimation of great proportions of a projects valuation with low effort and high accuracy on a top down basis;
- Ensure that all other areas of the business where cost is and should be integrated in their way of working feeds directly from your cost base and updates to it are replicated around the business;
- With your team will work closely with the business units project teams during pre-construction. They will be included and integrated from the inception of all projects and responsible for all valuation and estimating activities throughout the life of the project, including valuations through optioneering stages, ROV processes and the governance Delivery Milestones;
- Ensure your teams estimating activities are within the projects programme and delivery of these activities are managed and met in an efficient manner;
- Utilise the visibility of estimating activity across the business from the programme you will effectively and efficiently manage your teams workload, value all stages of the projects and portfolios with a high level of accuracy and give the project teams early visibility of their activities costs to make informed commercial decisions, that will enable all projects to commercially outperform;
- Be accountable for the control of all Cost Capture activity that is required to drive your cost base accuracy and the clients cost base, utilised in the water industries Price Review processes;
- Build close relationships with Commercial, Procurement and our supply chain, your team will collate the actual cost of activities on projects and ensure this data is managed and assigned accurately in a way that will be utilised in increasing the accuracy of the businesses cost base;
- Actively leading the continual improvement of the @one alliance estimating processes, utilising digital advances to minimise the effort in delivering accurate valuation;
- Drive forward the accuracy and utilisation of our cost data, with one shared system and works breakdown structure for our business and the client;
- Develop and deliver the AMP7 White book savings to deliver shareholder expectations;
- Challenge and recommend actions to achieve and improve efficiencies, and create an environment of out performance.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Qualified to degree level in a relevant discipline;
- Experience of managing a large estimating department delivering project programmes in excess of GBP100m/annum;
- Experience from working for a Principle Contractor;
- In depth commercial, estimating and financial process & systems understanding, preferably in a contracting environment, of large scale multi million pound capital construction projects;
- Knowledge and experience working with NEC3 PSC and ECC contracts with the client and the supply chain, with emphasis on Option C;
- Proven ability in delivering business objectives at a strategic level;
- Proven experience in developing best practice;
- Ability to shape the future @one estimating delivery strategy;
- Professional commercial qualification ie RICS/ ICES/ CIOB;
- Innovative & Proactive;
- Flexible and can demonstrate people leadership experience;
- Able to manage pressure, meet strict deadlines, have an ability to challenge commercial, finance and operational management at all levels;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate financial information to non-financial managers and teams;
- Can clearly communicate the strategy and provide direction;
- Strong motivational skills;
- Ability to deliver quality outputs within tight deadlines;
- Excellent team player;
- Takes personal responsibility for continually improving own knowledge, skills and networks.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Based in Peterborough, with good transport links from Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire and Rutland, the roles include all engineering disciplines, quantity surveyors, project delivery managers plus many more.
The contract is based from an integrated office at Peterborough offering a collaborative, innovative and unique working environment with a subsidised caf(C), free parking and teams focused on the customers we serve within the Anglian Water region.
The collaborative working environment allows our teams to develop many technical and personal skills to enhance future personal opportunities within the alliance project.
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group has been a member of Anglian Waters @one Alliance since 2004, delivering a number of major water projects.
The @one Alliance is a collaborative organisation of consultants and contractors working together to deliver more than half of Anglian Waters capital investment programme.
The Anglian Water @one Alliance will design and build around 800 schemes worth approximately GBP1.2billion between April 2015 and March 2020, known as AMP6 the current five year investment period, working closely with Anglian Water operations teams and other key stakeholders.
The contract is for the entire five-year regulatory period, from 2015 to 2020, with extensions which could take it to 2030, making it one of the longest collaborations in the sector. It operates within an alliance of delivery partners set up by Anglian Water
As a stakeholder within the Anglian Water @one Alliance, Balfour Beatty provide both design and construction services across the whole of Anglian Waters region, which is the largest by geographic area in the UK, stretching from the Humber to the Thames estuary and from Buckinghamshire to the East Coast. Work is mainly focussed on clean water infrastructure (water mains), but also includes wastewater pipes and non-infrastructure projects, such as treatment works.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.