About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting new opportunity for a Geotechnical and OHL Engineer to join the Design and Engineering team in Power T&D
Role Purpose: work with project team, designers and subcontractors through the design phase to deliver the safe and suitable scope of works in line with the project objectives. Take responsibility for the design delivery and design suitability for works across Power T&D construction projects with particular focus on Overhead Line (OHL) foundations and geotechnical delivery. Provide advice as to the constructability and sequencing of civil design and temporary works designs for Power T&D business. Provide geotechnical support across the range of PT&D workstreams.
What you'll be doing
- Undertake geotechnical desktop assessments, foundation capacity checks and geotechnical risk assessments including the interpretation of ground investigation information.
- Specify ground investigation and testing, piling works and other works.
- Provide on site assessment of geological conditions resulting in design decisions for applicable engineering solutions
- Support the provision of designs, volumes and quantities as required for tender submissions such that upon contract award, the budget, programme and specification can be achieved.
- Attend testing and undertake supervision of installation as required to verify the suitability of design and quality of construction.
- Undertake design of OHL foundations including the provision of reinforcement.
- Working closely with Project Teams to determine and maintain common objectives and to ensure work undertaken is appropriate and in accordance with project priorities.
- Liaise with appropriate personnel to achieve optimum installation procedures. Undertake site visits as necessary to plan and inspect foundation or geotechnical works.
- Embed Safety by Design principles in all activities, including managing safety through appropriate life cycle designs that minimise risks to personnel and property, by ensuring that Health & Safety Regulations and Balfour Beatty procedures and requirements are followed in the design of foundation or geotechnical works.
- Analyse contract documents to ensure correct interpretation of customers/consultants intentions.
- Design foundations and/or geotechnical works so that they may be supplied and constructed in accordance with contract documents and/or current practices.
- Correspond as directed with the Business Units, customer, consultant, vendor (sub-contractor) to ensure the achievement of satisfactory progress and quality. Visit sites and offices to discuss and solve problem issues, as appropriate.
- Assist in training of new designers and/or trainees.
- Undertake other such duties as may be required by the Design lead or Design Manager.
Who we're looking for
- Degree level education or equivalent with formal training in civil engineering and/or geotechnical engineering.
- Strong, proven post-graduate experience in the civil engineering industry
- Experience of the supervision of sub-consultants or subcontractors
- Proven experience of the design of civil engineering works
- Strong, proven experience of the management of design of civil or geotechnical engineering works
- IT Literate (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, CAD)
- Experience of geotechnical design
- Experience in the use of Tekla Tedds
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions. With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations. From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/