About the role
Our diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategy Value everyone, drives action to improve diversity in our organisation and create an inclusive culture. It promotes high performance, engagement and makes Balfour Beatty a great place to work. We encourage innovative and fresh ways of thinking, allowing every employee to be themselves and perform at their very best.
Our work matters to millions. Itll matter to you too. Join our Rail team as a Senior Quantity Surveyor on the Central Rail Systems Alliance in Crewe and you'll be a big part of fascinating, complex, varied and meaningful work. The role offers hybrid working and flexible working on request.
The Role offers a diverse and challenging environment, with opportunities to develop and grow within the CRSA organization given the portfolio of work currently being developed within the CRSA.
The CRSA seeks to promote collaborative relationships and behaviours and create a fundamental different landscape between Network Rail and its Stakeholders, which in turn will create a safe work environment enabling employees to consistently achive our safety vision. Through collaborative working, the CRSA embrace the findings of the McNulty Report implementing efficient initiatives to reduce cost and improve quality.
- Experience in managing all costs related to Pway and associated Railway Systems Works.
- Support the Project Commercial Manager and Project Programme Manager delivering the varied commercial duties associated with the busy and varied works being delivered within the depot.
- Support the key deliverables of the CRSA Crewe Programme Project within the Network Rail overall Crewe Programme Project to ensure the smooth running of the National Rail Infrastructure and development of Crewe Station.
- The role will involve actively seeking to minimize costs, enhance value and target cost through identification and valuing of Change, while still working in the Alliance Environment.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Quantity Surveyor you will:
- Have management of circa 20-30m/annum of works at CRSA's Crewe Programme Project
- Measure, record & value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures.
- Measure & interpret specifications & drawings;
- Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates;
- Translate measurement from drawings and Specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities and Schedules of rates if required.
- Collation of Cost and Value Information;
- Preparation of Cost reconciliation statements;
- Collect information required to specify procurement requirements
- Collation of cost and value information;
- Management of Sub Contractors Accounts.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are required:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- An organised, innovative, creative Senior Quantity Surveyor with experience of working of leading Projects and managing packages of works
- Experience of managing costs and maximising value
- Experience of financial and commercial control within a project
- Experience of procuring and managing supply chain
- Maintains own Personal Development Plan
- Manages HR/People aspects for direct and indirect reports (Personal Development Reviews etc.)
- Actively supports the development of others including professional mentoring
- Membership of RICS or ICES or working towards this accreditation
- Experience of working as part of commercial teams
- Proven record of working to deadlines, working efficiently and to a high standard
- Experience of infrastructure projects with resilience and determination to succeed
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
For an example of the exciting work our rail teams undertake click here:
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/