About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environment & Sustainability Manager to join our Enabling Functions team to work in the Southeast of England (M25 J10) (based in Cobham, Guildford or surrounding areas).
This role will see you delivering the Building New Futures Strategy in Highways and Major Projects. You will manage Sustainability Action Plans, develop and implement business interventions to ensure progress is made against our plans. You will support the delivery of our key sustainability ambitions (including Carbon, Materials, Waste and Social Value).
If you have or are looking for a career in Highways or Major Projects, working on the M25 will give you experience and challenge that no other highways project can offer.
This is a hybrid role: Monday & Friday (from home) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays (on site)
What you'll be doing
- Manage data collection, collation, and analysis of Environmental and Sustainability data.
- Support with the carbon/sustainability internal and external bi/annual audits
- Maintain Major Projects and Highways Sustainability Action Plans.
- Deliver Building New Futures work programmes e.g. carbon, waste management, sustainability materials and Social Value
- Coordinate and undertake regular site inspections with the construction teams to monitor compliance with the environmental licences/consents for the works and environmental plans and procedures; implement follow-up corrective actions to ensure compliance with UK regulations and legislation.
- Review and/or support project with the development of Environmental Management Plan (EMP) and Sustainability Action Plan and specialist procedures as appropriate.
- Promote a positive environmental culture through proactive engagement and communications with project teams, including the supply chain
- Investigate environmental incidents and near miss events in accordance with Balfour Beatty standards to identify and share lessons learned.
Who we're looking for
- Environmental Degree, NEBOSH Environmental Diploma / IEMA Certificate or related discipline.
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Strong working knowledge of Energy and Carbon [PAS 2080]
- Knowledge of investigation (root cause analysis) techniques for incident investigation.
- Experience in managing others who provide administrative support within a Health, Safety and Environment department.
- Experience of chairing meetings, both with the workforce and supply chain.
- Strong and effective communication skills to deliver key safety messages.
- Experience in construction environment (desirable)
Why work for us
Our people are our biggest asset, and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package in addition to a competitive base salary and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Enabling Functions includes our centralised HR, IT, Procurement, Finance, Health & Safety, Sustainability and Comms teams. Together we support Balfour Beatty to deliver projects on behalf of our clients. We operate according to our Build to Last values of Lean, Expert, Trusted, Safe and Sustainable.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/