About the role
Our diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategy Value everyone, drives action to improve diversity in our organisation and create an inclusive culture. It promotes high performance, engagement and makes Balfour Beatty a great place to work. We encourage innovative and fresh ways of thinking, allowing every employee to be themselves and perform at their very best.
Own your career, and you can build something to be proud of at Balfour Beatty. By joining our Power Transmission & Distribution, Multi Utilities (HS2) team as a Quantity Surveyor in Derby or other agreed location, you'll work with true experts wholl share their knowledge and provide support, encouragement and invaluable feedback so you never stop learning. Bring us your capability, and well help you take it much, much further. The role offers hybrid working and flexible working requests are also available.
What you'll be doing
As a Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following accountabilities:
- In conjunction with the relevant Project Management team member, be accountable for the profitability of the project, and develop an appropriate commercial strategy for the project to ensure delivery of required margins
- Contribute to the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system ensuring all financial information is managed and up-to-date and tracked with budget/tender allowances, commitments and deviations highlighted and managed
- With other members of the team, produce and provide accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value
- Monitor cash flow and valuation plan, ensuring applications are made correctly and in a timely manner
- Ensure contract variations are identified, valued and turned into agreed variation orders with the customer in a timely manner
- Assist in ensuring effective records are maintained to support claims and that applications for payment for variations are issued in a timely manner
- Manage the subcontract tender process, including the selection of sub-contractors and provision of all relevant contract and schedule documentation
- Ensure that subcontracts are placed in an appropriate manner to step down appropriate responsibilities from the Main Contract
- Ensure that each sub-contractors account is managed strictly in accordance with their terms and conditions
- Provide accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on the project(s) in line with the Companys reporting process
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- An organised, innovative and creative Quantity Surveyor with knowledge and experience of working on Projects
- Experience of collating costs and maximising value
- Experience of working as a QS, including the need to support with financial and commercial control within a project
- Experience of procuring and managing supply chain
- Maintain a Personal Development Plan
- Working towards professional accreditation
- Support development of others around you
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Demonstration of working to deadlines, working efficiently and to a high standard
- Interest in infrastructure projects
- Demonstration of resilience and determination to succeed
- BSc in Quantity Surveying or equivalent level of education or experience
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions. With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations. From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/