About the role
Our projects are more than just your opportunity to make your mark. Theyre an opportunity to stretch, test and develop your expertise. Join our Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick team as a Senior Quantity Surveyor on the Midlands Metropolitan University Hospital and you'll deliver complex work that really matters to our business, and the world around you.
What you'll be doing
As a/an Senior Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company HSE procedures and work instructions
- Contribute to the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system ensuring all financial information is managed and up-to-date and tracked with budget/tender allowances, commitments and deviations highlighted and managed
- With other members of the team, produce and provide accurate subcontract and procurement forecasts and project cost to completion.
- Continually monitor costs in line with budget.
- Ensure that necessary interface information between customers, suppliers, sub-contractors and other departments is provided in a timely manner.
- Monitor cash flow and valuation plan, ensuring applications are made correctly and in a timely manner.
- Ensure contract variations are identified, valued and turned into agreed variation orders with the customer in a timely manner.
- Assist in ensuring effective records are maintained to support change / claims and that applications for payment for variations are issued in a timely manner.
- Manage the subcontract tender process, including the selection of sub-contractors and provision of all relevant contract and schedule documentation.
- Ensure that subcontracts are placed in an appropriate manner to step down appropriate responsibilities from the Head Contract. Including design considerations where necessary.
- Provide accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on the project in line with the Companys reporting process.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Membership of a relevant professional body and/or relevant professional qualification, such as InstCES/RICS
- Previous experience in Quantity Surveying, some of which should have been obtained within a relevant business of factory facility environment
- Sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of Conditions of Contract
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer sub contracts
- Working knowledge of labour productivity assessments
- A valid CSCS card is beneficial but not essential
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick (BBK) is a market leading mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP) and mechanical, electrical and instrumentation (ME&I) solutions provider with over 100 years of engineering expertise.
We design, install and maintain the systems that make building infrastructure work. Emphasising environmentally efficient technologies, digital construction and offsite manufacturing, our experienced teams deliver high quality solutions across the following sectors: Aviation, Buildings, Civils, Defence, Energy and New Build Nuclear.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/