About the role
Balfour Beatty Power T&D (Scotland) are an industry renowned Contractor in the Power Sector. We specialise in the design and build of OHL, Cabling and Substation projects throughout Scotland. The Power Sector is currently one of the most exciting industries to be in. Driven by the UKs commitment to hit carbon zero by 2050, the demand to transition to a heavier reliance on electricity requires a rapid expansion of the current UK Power Networks, which in turn provides us with a clear foresight of opportunities for the next 10-20 years.
Our projects are more than just your opportunity to make your mark; theyre an opportunity to stretch, test and develop your expertise. So why not join our Power Commercial team as an Quantity Surveyor? There is a requirement for regular travel to site however hybrid and flexible working is welcomed.
Purpose of the role:
- Collate costs in relation to infrastructure projects with experience of identifying commercial risks and opportunities in respect of their works
- Deliver varied commercial duties including responsibility for procuring and managing supply chain
- Optimise commercial performance through diligent cost control and value for money opportunities, whilst achieving the required standards and quality for our customers
- Create and maintain commercial relationships to both internal and external stakeholders
- Contract administration with both client and subcontractors
- Provide support and adherence for the Gated Business Lifecycle process.
- Proactively drive career and personal development, including professional certification
What you'll be doing
As a Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Good knowledge of the Companys Group Minimum Commercial Expectations and promotes use and adherence, including other governance requirements in line with the Gated Business Lifecycle process
- Collate cost and value information supporting the cost value reconciliation (CVR) process
- Analyse the tender budget in line with actual cost
- Complete the measurement of works and agreements with clients
- Identifying and value change
- Develop awareness of different programme formats
- Subcontractor account management variation and payments
- Collect information required to specify procurement requirements
- Record and document information including registration of interest
- Understand the steps / documentation required
- Assist with subcontract procurement process
Who we're looking for
- An organised, innovative and creative Quantity Surveyor with knowledge and experience of working on Projects
- Experience of collating costs and maximising value
- Experience of working as a QS, including the need to support with financial and commercial control within a project
- Experience of procuring and managing supply chain
- Maintain a Personal Development Plan
- Working towards professional accreditation
- Support development of others around you
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Demonstration of working to deadlines, working efficiently and to a high standard
- Interest in infrastructure projects
- Demonstration of resilience and determination to succeed
- BSc in Quantity Surveying or equivalent level of education or experience
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
As a business Balfour Beatty are committed to supporting our staff in attaining and maintaining their chosen professional accreditation., along with reimbursing annual Professional membership fees.
Our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions. With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations. From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/