About the role
Our work matters to millions. Itll matter to you too. Join our Balvac team as a Skilled Operative and you'll be a big part of fascinating, complex, varied and meaningful work.
What you'll be doing
As a Skilled Operative, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Ensure the works are carried out in the most efficient and safe manner
- Demonstrate positive attitude and behaviour towards safety and others
- Report all near misses, hazards or observations via the hotline and to the Supervisor
- Follow company/manufacturers procedures to ensure standards are met
- Notify the Supervisor or Chargehand of any matters that affect the progress of works (including breakdowns & damages, etc.)
- Ensure maintenance/inspection checks are carried out, reports are correctly completed on time and submitted
- Ensure relevant task briefings have been carried out prior to tasks undertaken
- Make sure the quality and quantity of work produced is at required levels
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Good communication skills (to all levels including Supervisors)
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Proactively challenge and be challenged where appropriate
- Knowledge of using and clear understanding of work package plans, method statements, procedures, risk assessments and site specific rules (including lift plans)
- HSE CSCS card
- Multi-skilled (for example Traffic Marshall, Manual Handling, etc)
- Experience in some or all of the following fields
- concrete repair
- crack injection
- Post tensioning
- Bearing replacement
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balvac is a leading specialist structural repair, strengthening and refurbishment contractor and wholly owned subsidiary of the Balfour Beatty Group. We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Our core business is the structural repair strengthening, protection and refurbishment of existing civil and building structure across the UK. We are active in highways, rail infrastructure, power including nuclear licensed sites and industrial facilities.
Specialist capabilities include: Concrete repair, including wet and dry spray concrete, Crack injection, Leak sealing injection, Structural strengthening including the use of FRP composite materials, Corrosion Protection and Cathodic Protection, Post tensioning to bridges, tanks and nuclear reactor vessels, Concrete carriageway rehabilitation using vacuum assisted void grouting and slab realignment techniques.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/