About the role
Our tomorrow is built on a firm foundation. Here at Balfour Beatty, were on our way to leading every market were in, and we have the strategy and momentum to get there. Join our Highways Team as a Sub Agent on the M1 Junction 10 to 13 in Luton and you'll be part of it.
To lead and control a section of the works, according to a specific discipline. Management of a team of Section Engineers & Site Engineers within same discipline. Previous Highways experience is essential for this role.
What you'll be doing
- Section budget monitoring and ownership. Identifies changes to works information on drawings and wider commercial and contractual implications. Able to gather information for and produce contract required documentation to support commercial recovery.
- Manages a team of Section Engineers and Site Engineers
- Reviews Method Statements and Risk Assessments and makes improvements as appropriate
- Able to lead an Accident / Incident Investigation (HFACS and Four Page Report)
- Carries out trend analysis and identifies improvement areas from audits and near misses
- Carries out field audits and confirms the sufficiency of control documentation
- Production and implementation of Permits to Work, specifically Confined Space Permits and Hot Works Permits
- Strong understanding of temporary works and timescales for implementation into the works
- Guides & coaches subordinates in technical requirements and techniques of setting out
- Guides and coaches subordinates in resolution of construction issues, drawing on experience and accepted industry best practice
- Ownership of whole process of production, checking and submission of Handover Documentation (Green Files or equivalent)
- Implements systems and processes to support construction of the works in accordance with the specification (eg Materials Approval, NCR, Handover Documentation)
- Carries out trend analysis of the above and identifies improvement areas for non conformance and business improvement
- Carries out Independent Inspections of their own section and of others
- Carries out Site Audits to check works and documentation compliance
- Produces a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software
- Tracks and monitors KPI compliance and recommends improvements to systems to maintain
- team production
- Establishes monitors of production, translated to graphical form from the Programme to aid understanding of current status and identification of requirements for intervention
- Cross references section programme to three weekly programme and ensures compatibility
- Maintains accurate diary, including dialogue with external organisations (subcontractors)
- Produces a budget from the resourced programme and monitors / reviews weekly costs
- Involved in the procurement of subcontractors
- Manages sub contractors
- Understands cost and value
- Drafts correspondence to sub contractors, suppliers and Client
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately. Suggests and implements improvements to systems
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity; experienced at encouraging direct reports to do the same and managing a team to ensure tasks are carried out effectively and key messages cascaded
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card. SSSTS or SMSTS qualified
- Excellent team player, able to work competently and independently without continuous supervision
- Strong communication skills with good interpersonal and influencing skills
- Solution orientated approach to issue resolution
- Excellent role model for development of team members and demonstrates required behaviours to align to project and team objectives
- Understands method statements and risk assessments, able to develop new and improved safe systems of work
- Understands the principles of Accident / Incident Investigation and has good working knowledge of the process
- Good working knowledge of current H&S Legislation
- A full understanding of technical requirements and techniques of setting out and coaching of team members
- Allocates correct resource levels and identifies additional requirements
- Track record of solution orientated approach to issue resolution
- Strong understanding of requirements for handover, including certification
- Able to produce a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software
- Able to measure and track KPIs for enhanced productivity
- Strong knowledge and management of construction process in one or more of the following areas: Earthworks/Drainage, Pavement, Comms, Structures, Roadworks
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/