About the role
Our work matters to millions. Itll matter to you too. Join our Highways team as a Commercial Manager on the M1 project and you'll be a big part of fascinating, complex, varied and meaningful work.
- Responsible for the financial management of standard projects from inception, from tendering to, negotiating and agreeing contracts, and then commercial delivering Projects often worth many millions of pounds.
- Integral part of the project delivery team where they hold key responsibilities associated with the commercial and financial success of each project.
- An extensive understanding of the construction industry, flexibility and a talent for negotiation.
- A track record of managing and developing a commercial team and be themselves a Chartered Member of the RICS, ICES or CIOB, and a mentor/role model to other commercial staff on their journey to becoming professionally qualified.
What you'll be doing
As a Commercial Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Provides commercial input to Value Engineering reviews for different forms of construction
- To co-ordinate the commercial team to ensure programme issues are identified and actioned
- To manage the preparation and review of Earned Value Management Project Management
- To be able to report and explain the commercial progress to senior divisional staff
- Manages commercial aspects with Customer and stakeholders
- Establish client supply chain requirements & advise on alternative forms of contract & procurement arrangements.
- Co-ordination of buying, accounts, production control/planning, supply chain management & procurement techniques, estimating & surveying functions
- Identifies & targets the needs of individuals & self
- Manages teams PDRs, training & development including professional
- Determine project commercial staff requirement & liaison with HR for recruitment including temporary staff
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
The following qualifications are essential:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Excellent communicator
- Strategic change Management
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results)
- Business and Customer Awareness
- Promotes organisational aims & objectives
- Manages customer needs
- Manages opportunities & threats
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Highways delivers major schemes including smart motorway upgrade programmes, complex national infrastructure projects and regional investment programme works for National Highways. We have a strong orderbook and a positive pipeline of opportunities, we put our customer, the road user, at the heart of everything we do. We work safely, delivering net carbon reductions and social value to the communities within which we work.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/