About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our SB3 team to in Coleshill, Birmingham.
SB3 is a joint venture between Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering and Bachy Soletanche, to deliver the deep foundations and the ground improvement work on the Northern Section of HS2. The value of these works is estimated at 550 million.
- Supporting other more senior members of the commercial team in delivering the varied commercial duties as well as being responsible for procuring and managing our supply chain;
- Actively seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality for our Customers;
- Typically a QS will be chartered or in the final stages of achieving professional membership of the RICS, ICES or CIOB and will be a peer role model for those less experienced members of the commercial team.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Quantity Surveyor you will:
- Measure, record & value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures.
- Measure & interpret specifications & drawings;
- Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates;
- Translate measurement from drawings and Specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities and Schedules of rates.
- Review weekly, monthly, section programmes of works;
- Plan commercial activities to meet requirements of section programmes;
- Have an understanding of delay and disruption programmes.
- Collation of Cost and Value Information;
- Preparation of Cost reconciliation statements.
- Undertake customer and stakeholder management for their area of responsibility;
- Collation of cost and value information;
- Measurement of works and agreements with subcontractors.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent.
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results);
- Previous Commercial Work experience;
- Industry knowledge.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering offers a range of services across the construction sector, from piled foundations to ground improvement, testing and analysis. We have established our reputation through our integrated design approach to every project, from the small to the very large.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/