About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Managing Quantity Surveyor to join our Regional team to work in Crewe.
A Managing Quantity Surveyor is a very experienced QS who manages all costs relating to large and civil engineering projects or on a number of smaller ones. They will have significant experience in minimising the costs of a project and enhancing value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality. Typically they will have a track record of managing a commercial team and be a Chartered Member of the RICS, ICES or CIOB, and a mentor to other commercial staff on their journey to becoming professionally qualified. This roles will initially be managing the change / change team on the project.
What you'll be doing
As a Managing Quantity Surveyor, you will:
- Have the ability to mitigate potentially damaging situations;
- Communicate the good things Cost;
- Apply principles of cost management & elemental cost analysis including life cycle implications where required;
- Recognise and understand cost sensitive areas;
- Undertake risk analysis in the context of construction;
- Justify;">Manage the preparation of Target Costs;
- Review progress of the project against the various programmes;
- Prepare delay and disruption programmes;
- Monitor and control critical elements of the process;
- Identify and communicate threats to budget & programme;
- Report and explain the commercial progress to senior project staff;
- Manage a commercial team;
- Manage the change management process within the contractual timescales;
- Commercial input into the project controls reporting;
- Undertake cost planning and pre-contract cost control;
- Evaluate and negotiate tenders including Subcontractors and suppliers;
- Assess and identify risks and opportunities as part of risk management;
- Carry our risk and opportunity analysis;
- Advise on contractual matters and formulate correspondence;
- Undertake benchmarking exercises & set/monitor Performance Indicators (KPIs);
- Maintain own Personal Development Plan;
- Target work that can develop individuals;
- align: justify;">Manage recruitment of lower grades up to Quantity Surveyors.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities & Experience
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent;
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB.
- Strategic change management;
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results);
- Business and Customer Awareness;
- Promotes organisational aims & objectives;
- Manages customer needs;
- Manages opportunities and threats.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.