About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environment and Sustainability Manager to join our CRSA team based from the Crewe depot. The E&S Manager will manage and ensure the project is delivered successfully in terms of environmental management and compliance. Working with client, designer, sub-contractors and stakeholders to foster a culture of continuous improvement and operate to the highest possible quality and environmental standards.
What you'll be doing
- Ensure compliance with current legislation and best practice, ensuring that any new legislative changes are brought to the attention of the responsible PC Nominated Person (Project Lead) in a timely manner for appropriate action.
- Carry out monthly and annual Internal audits, both site and office based.
- Manage / assist with external audits.
- Ensure KPIs are established and standards met.
- Develop business relations with Client and contracted associates/companies to
adopt/encourage best practice.
- Ensure relevant environmental training programmes are delivered to all staff as appropriate.
- Support Health & Safety Manager with environmental input into safety stand downs and briefings.
- Investigate incidents/near misses, as required and disseminate lessons learned.
- Ensure environmental risks are included in the risk register.
- Engage in early supply chain discussions to ensure environmental/sustainability/KPI reporting.
requirements are included within the procurement process.
Who we're looking for
- Previous experience in the Rail industry working within the field of environment and sustainability
- Charted member of IEMA or working towards.
- Have a sound understanding of current environmental legislation.
- A current PTS holder with demonstrable experience of working within an operational railway environment.
- Experience of being able to apply key Railway Legislation and Operational Health and Safety standards at the site of work
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Office packages.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) and able to engage with all stakeholders at all levels.
Why work for us
Our people are our biggest asset, and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package in addition to a competitive base salary and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Our Rail business has an extensive legacy of rail expertise. Our teams safely deliver complex projects, from consultancy and design to all aspects of construction and maintenance. Using advanced plant and machinery, and unique innovations, we provide end-to-end solutions for our customers.
Our aim is to improve the passengers experience, and our teams create better journeys by increasing network capacity, improving reliability, and making our railways more efficient and sustainable.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion.
Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/