About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a General Operative to join our Living Places business unit to work in Solihull.
- Required to work within the revenue team on the HMC16 contract supporting the completion of reactive, emergency and winter maintenance operational activities;
- Utilising knowledge and experience to ensure that depots are maintained in accordance with good Health, Safety and Quality standards;
- Responsible for all aspects of depot maintenance, stores procurement, management and storage including stock rotation, waste management and updating data bases.
What you'll be doing
As a General Operative you will:
- Work within a culture of Zero Harm embedding the 4 Golden Rules within all aspects of service delivery;
- Report all observations Close Calls and Good Practices;
- Compliance with all statutory and company procedures across all the functions, specifically H & S;
- Develop and maintain good working relationships across all teams;
- Update notice boards with relevant H&S information.
- Ensure depots are managed and maintained effectively to support delivery teams;
- Review depots and develop continuous improvement plans to support stock management;
- Undertake stock takes as required and update computer based inventories and stores requisitions;
- Utilise the effective deployment and use of plant, equipment or machinery;
- Organise, control and monitor supplies of materials;
- Ensure small plant is effectively managed across the three depots;
- Develop housekeeping regimes across the depots alongside the supervisors and police accordingly
- Carry out all reasonable work instructions;
- Attend liaison meetings with other depot stakeholders;
- Support the emergency service provision in and out of hours;
- Support the delivery of winter service provision;
- Contribute to the overall profitability of the services providing through effective use of resources.
- Provide customer service in construction;
- Be an ambassador for Balfour Beatty at all times.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Health and Safety first;
- Adaptable to changing situations;
- Team work;
- Willing to learn;
- Listen to and do what is required;
- Pride in work;
- Honest / Act with integrity;
- Customer facing;
- Positive Attitude;
- Professional Conduct;
- Good Communication skills.
- Work in highway maintenance arena;
- Computer literate.
- First Aid;
- Manual Handling.
- L2 Winter Maintenance;
- Class 2 Licence;
- Telescopic Handler.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion.
fy;">As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/