About the role
Our diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategy Value everyone, drives action to improve diversity in our organisation and create an inclusive culture. It promotes high performance, engagement and makes Balfour Beatty a great place to work. We encourage innovative and fresh ways of thinking, allowing every employee to be themselves and perform at their very best.
Our projects are more than just your opportunity to make your mark; theyre an opportunity to stretch, test and develop your expertise. Join our Rail team as a Commercial Manager and you can build something to be proud of. Hybrid working and flexible working requests will be considered for this role.
Based in Euston (Juniper Crescent) or Aston, Birmingham, the Commercial Manager will be involved in managing IUT projects alongside the IUT Project Delivery Team as well as other key stakeholders and clients.
The Commercial Manager will be responsible for the financial management of standard projects from inception, from tendering to, negotiating and agreeing contracts, and then commercial delivering Projects often worth many millions of pounds.
What you'll be doing
As Commercial Manager you will be involved in:
- Manage the preparation of the monthly CVR and associated commercial reports.
- Able to report and explain the commercial progress to senior divisional staff
- Awareness of disputes resolution including options, structure as well as knowledge of the SCL Protocol
- Application of legislation and ability to liaise with legal experts
- Preparation of Estimates & Tender submissions including the interpretation of specifications & preambles
- Representation of the financial and contractual interests to your employer and/or client in progress meetings or the like.
- Co-ordination of buying, accounts, production control/planning, supply chain management & procurement techniques, estimating & surveying functions
- Management and reporting of Commercial Risk and Opportunity
- Management of disallowed cost
- Manage the feedback of commercial data to Planning, Estimating, Marketing and Sales
- Manages commercial aspects with Customer and stakeholder
Who we're looking for
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- An organised, innovative, creative, and experienced Commercial Manager with experience of working on complex projects with experience of managing Contracts
- Previous experience at senior level of managing project commercial performance, and a track record of delivering commercial excellence
- Experience of financial and commercial control within a complex project
- Experience of managing audit on Target Cost Contracts
- Experience of managing commercial teams, ensuring an inclusive culture is achieved
- Experience in the recruitment and retention of staff, including interviewing for staff
- Identifies & targets the needs of individuals & self
- Manages teams Performance Development Reviews, associated training including professional requirements, and succession planning opportunities
- Member of RICS or ICES or working towards this accreditation
- Engagement with the community such as involvement with Schools & Universities to offer career advice and promote BB as a potential employer. Support sponsored students, promoting engagement and makes Balfour Beatty a great place to work
- Proven record of working to deadlines, working efficiently and to a high standard
- Experience of infrastructure projects with resilience and determination to succeed
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Rail business has an extensive legacy of rail expertise. Our teams safely deliver complex projects, from consultancy and design to all aspects of construction and maintenance. Using advanced plant and machinery, and unique innovations, we provide end-to-end solutions for our customers.
Our aim is to improve the passengers experience, and our teams create better journeys by increasing network capacity, improving reliability, and making our railways more efficient and sustainable.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/