About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join our Highways team to work in Dartford / South Mimms / Leatherhead.
- Project Management of Renewal and/or Improvement Project Projects from Inception to Close Out located across the entire Network. Project types include Pavement projects, Safety improvement projects, Structures refurbishment, Geotechnical and Drainage works.
- Project Managers will be liaising with all Stakeholders for each project with particular focus on meeting requirement of Highways Agency (HA) and Connect Plus (CP) as primary Clients
- Project portfolio delivery to time, cost, quality and delivering the agreed outcomes with full supporting documentation to allow project close out.
- Working with Framework Contractors for project execution in accordance with the implemented Collaborative Management strategy
- Application of innovative and efficient design and construction methods to all projects
- Support delivery of all projects in accordance with Zero Harm plan implemented by business
What you'll be doing
As a Project Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Responsible for a number of projects at different stages of the project lifecycle.
- Commission and manage internal and external resources in terms of quality, budget and programme
- Manage end to end project progress from asset team, designers, sub-consultants, construction team and contractors
- Manage schedule and resolve delivery issues for each project
- Manage cost plan for each project
- Routinely report schedule, current spend and financial forecast of each project to HA and CP
- Report detailed status of each project at HA monthly meetings, including schedule and cost forecast
- Liaise with Planner, Construction Manager, Project QS and Designers to develop individual project schedules and budget estimates
- Liaison with Asset team and Operations team as necessary
- Maintain MS Project schedule to identify milestones and completion dates for tasks and teams
- Assess, mitigate and manage progress, finance and delivery risks
- Ensure key project enablers are implemented, TTROs, Road Space Bookings, Local Authority Consultation etc.
- Ensure project transfer and ECI meetings occur
- Prioritise critical path activities and manage resources accordingly
- Adhere to project governance procedure and ensure all necessary supporting documentation is prepared and presented.
- Coordinate all phases of the renewals and improvements process
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Project Management Experience preferably supported by recognised PM qualification, PRINCE2, APMP etc.
- Preference of minimum IEng qualification registerd with Engineering Council and membership of appropriate professional institution (ICE or IHT) or working towards such qualification.
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of Highway or Structures Engineering and associated design areas
- Understanding of H&S Requirements related to Highway Engineering
- Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation
- Competent in exercising the duties under CDM
- CSCS Card
- Understanding of Environmental requirements of projects
- Knowledge of the NEC Contract and other relevant forms of contract
- Knowledge of Quality Management
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.