About the role
Balfour Beatty are currently recruiting for a Commercial Manager, to join our Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick team to work on an NHS project Birmingham. This is a 670 bed hospital with 15 operating suites. You will be leading the commercial teams responsible for in excess of GBP100m of mechanical and electrical installation.
- To lead several commercial teams in order to maximise our margins, reduce cost going out the business and increase timely cash collection into the business.
- To ensure the commercial team members are supported, encouraged and receive the necessary training / coaching in order to develop.
- To support and assist in the close out of Legacy issues.
What you'll be doing
As a Commercial Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- All duties required by the commercial department or project team, to ensure successful setup and running of a project or projects in compliance with all company standards and in particular the GCMEs and the Gated Business Lifecycle;
- Ensure the commercial staff on each project have the relevant level of support and are adequately qualified to fulfil the requirements of the project;
- Advising Senior Management early, of any potential over-spends, non-compliances and any other problem areas on the project or projects under your control;
- Ensure projects are setup on the company accounting system with a suitable Work Breakdown Structure in line with the OPSTAT guidance;
- Ensure accuracy of inputting budget & tender data from successful tenders into the Company accounting/Reporting System;
- Ensure timely completion and accuracy of the monthly project reports from the Company accounting/Reporting System by the project teams;
- Ensure timely completion and accuracy for the preparation of the monthly Applications and Invoicing aimed at maximising the companys financial position;
- Ensure a dialogue exists between the project teams and the client regards notifying early of any increased project value or delay to project completions;
- Ensure your commercial staff are meeting productively with your clients on a monthly basis to discuss certificates;
- Ensure timely and accurate collection of cash and pursuit of certificates from clients by your commercial team in order to maximise the companys cash flow position;
- Ensure inputting Applications and invoices (recording accurately) onto the company accounts system including payment certificates are carried out by your commercial team;
- Ensure the accuracy in producing accurate cash flow forecasts weekly;
- Ensure timely and accurate raising of PO requisitions, GRN and Off Hiring of plant equipment on the company accounting system is robust;
- Ensure inputting Sub-Contractor Certificates on the company accounting system is robust and the information being recorded is accurate;
- Ensure Sub-Contracts are in place and administered correctly and to the benefit of the company at all times including the placing of the most relevant Contract terms to best protect the interests of the company;
- Ensure your commercial team takes responsibility for identifying and recording change control opportunities together with inputting change control items to the company accounting system;
- Ensure the provision of and copying substantiation for project change and/or costs occurs;
- Ensure your project teams meet with your client on a monthly basis to discuss agreement and levels of substantiation required to close out change control items;
- Escalate to senior management at an early stage, where clients are being obstructive toward agreeing any change control issues;
- Ensure your commercial teams take responsibility for the accuracy and timely manner with administration of the Company accounting/Reporting system;
- Take responsibility for closing out claims and disputes on your projects;
- Take responsibility for timely close out of Final accounts on your projects;
- Take responsibility for regular robust project reviews and escalate to senior management any adverse performance.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Energetic, positive person with a wish to solve problems and comply with procedures;
- A commercial degree is essential;
- Proven record of experience running multiple projects and managing / leading several teams;
- Ability to generate, develop and manage Professional services agreements, Sub-contract agreements and obligations;
- Ability to deliver senior management objectives;
- Ability to communicate at all levels;
- Track record of delivering P&L for a GBP100M+ Business;
- Experience of M&E Building Services Heating, Ventilation and Plumbing in particular;
- Extensive experience in managing M&P construction projects including have managed project with a M&P value >GBP20 million;
- Experience in managing a blue collar M&P workforce >100 trades;
- Strong market/sector knowledge in the industrial arena including oil, gas, chemical, processing, nuclear, defence, renewable, power;
- Background in industry ideally including Mechanical, Piping, Electrical, Control and Instrumentation;
- Site and construction management in M&P disciplines in highly regulated industries;
- Strong interpersonal skills including both written and verbal;
- High degree of computer literacy;
- Commercial and contractual knowledge and understanding;
- Apprenticeship or equivalent in M&P;
- Proven track record as a successful PM.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We deliver flexible civil engineering and construction services from regional hubs and UK-wide local delivery units, aligned to chosen sectors.
Responsible for close to GBP2 billion of turnover annually, our teams deliver regional and national framework contracts, new builds, refurbishment and fit out across a number of core markets.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.