About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Development Engineer - Control Systems to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Leeds.
- The main function of the role is to engineer and develop Substation Control System solutions for electrical HV substation projects, ensuring BBs solutions are constantly in line with the requirements of client specifications;
- As part of this role, the engineer would also be responsible for the Type Registration of the solutions to be deployed.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be expected to:
- Be able to understand, develop and implemented full substation control system solutions including hardware configurations, HMI, Graphics, and I/O production;
- Have knowledge of Cyber security and the implementation of this within the substation environment;
- Be able to perform Type Registration Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT) with the clients presence;
- Be able to produce well written Functional Design Specifications, clearly demonstrating the intentions of a solution to the client and team;
- Be proactive in their approach to finding solutions that align to customer specifications;
- Create and maintain good supplier and customer relationships to allow the development of solutions to be efficient;
- Work as part of the SSSC team as an On-Call engineer, supporting the solutions deployed to substations.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Holds HNC degree or higher in Electrical Engineering;
- Experience in Substation Control Systems;
- Knowledge of IEC 60870-5-101 protocol is essential;
- Knowledge of NG Technical Specifications;
- General knowledge of IEC 61850 protocol;
- Familiar with quality assurance, business processes and applications;
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills;
- Expected to have a background working in the Substation Control System design sector with the ability to understand and implement the requirements of Substation Control System configuration works;
- Must work well and confidently both individually and as part of a team;
- Must work well under pressure and to deadlines.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/