About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for LIGHTING OPERATIVES LEVEL 2/LEVEL 3 to join us to work in Theydon Bois, Essex.
To assist in the efficient maintenance of the M25 DBFO Network lighting asset, by undertaking a wide range of street lighting maintenance, testing, installation works and similar tasks as required.
What you'll be doing
You will have the following accountabilties:
- Routine maintenance including detailed inspection, testing and bulk lamp change
- Non-routine maintenance including all types of lighting and sign repairs and cable fault investigations
- Installation works including the replacement of damaged equipment, installation of new equipment, cable installation
- Attend various incidents on the network relating to but exclusive to street lighting including liaison with the NOC (Network Operations Centre) and other parties
- Any other duties allocated by Line Managers.
- Provide accurate and legible written and verbal communication in the form of reports and records as required.
- Use mobile communication/data devices to accurately input data for record purposes to form reports and business records as required
- Undertake routine vehicle checks and maintain accurate and up to date driving records in line with legislation in accordance with CPS procedures and legislation.
- Taking due care of any CPS property including but not limited to tablets, vehicles and radios.
- Raise awareness of issues which may affect the safe operation of the network and report these as observed.
- Check that, equipment and materials are carried on vehicles in line with current maintenance checklist and are in working order, restock and record and report dfects as appropriate.
- Participate in Winter Service rota as required
- Atend training courses as and when required
- Live the Connect Plus Services values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of the businesses Sustainability activities
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Full UK Driving Licence
- CSCS Operative Card
- ECS Card to relevant competency
- NHSS 8 Competency Training
- IPAF 1b MEWPS
- UK Driving Licence, minimum category C (LGV Class 2)
- Driver Qualification Card
- 18th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations
- Abrasive Wheel
- Plant/small tools training
- Appropriate lifting qualification e.g lorry mounted crane
- A proven well rounded street lighting / electrical background
- An understanding of the street lighting industry
- Working on a live motorway or All Purpose Trunk Road (APTR) network
- Experience of working in a similar environment
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/