About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a PRINCIPAL CONTROL AND PROTECTION ENGINEER to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Newcastle upon Tyne or Kintore.
- The main function of the role is to engineer the control and protection designs for electrical substation projects up to a voltage of 400kV.
- The role also includes the General, Planning and Procurement responsibilities as detailed below for delivery of substation projects.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for the following:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard Company Quality, Health & Safety and Environmental Procedures and Business Process Manual
- Contribute to the development and training needs of the Design Team as appropriate to skills level / experience.
- Upon contract award, liaise and co-ordinate contract requirements with Project Manager, customer, external suppliers and other Balfour Beatty Departments at earliest opportunity
- Establish Design content of work package and the Design resource to achieve the required time scales, in line with Project EMPS, via development of detail engineering design plans.
- Effectively control, update and report on progress throughout contract life, giving estimates to complete and highlight potential resource problems to Design Manager / Project Manager
- Identify all relevant standards and Customer requirements, ensuring compliance with relevant National / International Standards and legislation, and contract specification
- Design work to be undertaken with due regard to Health, Safety & Environmental Procedures and production of Designer Risk Assessments, as necessary, to fulfil the Companys obligations in compliance with current CDM regulations.Examine contract documentation and establish the Companys scope of work including termination boundaries. Where this differs with the tendered contract requirement then this differences should be highlighted to the Project Manager
- Attend and contribute to Design Review / Contract Close-out Meetings, ensuring that appropriate items are actioned in a timely manner
- Liaise with Engineers, Designers and Draughtspersons on drawings requirements.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- HNC in Electrical Engineering or higher
- Liaising with customers and suppliers
- Overall design and specification of electrical power systems and associated power system components
- Calculations to demonstrate integrity of designs
- Microsoft Office Packages
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We operate according to our Build to Last Values of Lean, Expert, Trusted, Safe and Sustainable.
We support each other to deliver and succeed, placing equal value on all perspectives by embracing diversity and inclusion. Together we deliver powerful new solutions, collaborating with governments, our customers and partners to shape thinking, create skylines and inspire a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.