About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an ENGINEERING MANAGER to join our Highways team to work in LONDON / Winchester.
- To provide strategic engineering and design management, strong leadership and control of a multi-disciplinary team comprising engineering resources at all levels. Ensure full design integration between all design disciplines is achieved and assessed for all build ability aspects during both the development stage and construction stage of a scheme.
- Facilitate strong links with other teams within and external to the project to ensure the efficient delivery of the Project.
- Support the overall engineering strategy for the business and BB clients. Engage with the Supply Chain, Clients, Designers and other framework Delivery Partners to maximise knowledge share to provide efficiencies that will assist the Highways Agency in achieving the Highways Agency Roads Delivery Programme.
- Utilise engineering team specialists to provide on-site training for new recruits/site engineers.
What you'll be doing
As an ENGINEERING MANAGER, you willhave the following accountabilities:
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities
- Creates a culture of openness and trust in reporting of Health and Safety matters
- Contributes to targets and KPIs in line with Project / Business objectives and monitors performance, steering towards success
- Carries out periodic Safety and Environmental Tours as required by the Project Construction Phase Plan
- Appraises safety improvement options and leads action within Balfour Beatty and Supply Chain
- Contributes to periodic risk reviews and takes output forward to the Project Risk Register
- Ensures build ability and safety reviews are undertaken during all stages of the design, with consideration given to the full lifecycle of the scheme including operational and maintenance requirements.
- Oversees the management of the handover into maintenance process in accordance with IAN 182
- Manages and updates the Hazard Log during the construction phase of the project.
- Manages the compilation of all Operational and Maintenance handover documentation including the Health and Safety File.
- Ensures all Temporary works are designed and implemented in accordance with company procedures, and TW designs give full consideration of the Health and Safety aspects.
- Manages interface with the Principal Designer (CDM PD) during construction Phase of the scheme.
- Keeps up to date with changes in legislation and cascades information to the team.
- Identifies longer term strategic training to support individual development as required.
- Manages the following key engineering functions to ensure engineering control and support to is provided and maintained
- Ensures production of design target programmes reflect overall construction programme
- Contributes to weekly senior managers meetings to review strategic performance on site
- Supports the production team to resolve engineering issues rapidly to avoid and minimize costs and programme impacts.
- Ensures temporary works design deliverables align with the construction programme.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Takes ownership of tasks and communicates outcomes with clarity, direction and purpose, including managing others in this regard.
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights.
- Able to frequently work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility and lead and manage others in this regard.
- Degree or HND in Civil engineering.
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card. Must be SMSTS qualified.
- Excellent team player and team leader, able to work competently and independently without supervision. Reports back as necessary to update Project Director.
- Able and willing to make decisions following consideration of options based on best available information.
- Strong communication skills with track record of solution orientated approach to issue resolution
- Excellent role model for development of junior staff and demonstrates required behaviours to align to business, project and team objectives.
- Provision of assistance and expert knowledge to reinforce the objectives of the work winning teams.
- Champions and develops collaborative behaviours within and external to the team.
- Good working knowledge of current H & S legislation
- Proficient in the application of Company Systems
- Innovative approach to enhancing safe systems of work
- Good working knowledge of current CDM legislation
- Good working knowledge of operational and maintenance requirements following handover of a scheme.
- Experience of overseeing the management of design teams, and engineering support function teams.
- Experience in Design Co-ordination and Temporary works design.
- Provides technical support to the project team with the capability to resolve complex technical problems in a timely manner as and when they arise.
- Identifies and champions lessons learned to ensure continual improvement in the business
- Detailed understanding of highways design details and temporary works.
- Construction experience required to ensure build ability aspects are considered at all times during design reviews.
- Experience in the management of a wide range of construction operations, including phasing and contingency planning, together with testing and handover.
- Experience in the management of technical support functions to enhance and support production team requirements.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.