About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Delivery Engineer to join our Rail team to work in London.
To actively plan and execute of the Permanent Way (plain line and junction work) and Drainage renewals consisting of: engineering prep, logistical planning, setting out, site delivery and follow up. To deliver this work to scope and budget ensuring that all health, safety, quality, sustainability and environmental requirements are satisfied. Co-ordinate works to align and fully integrate with other discipline works to meet the programme.
What you'll be doing
As a Delivery Engineer, you will ensure that Projects are planned and delivered to high engineering standards and fully compliant to enable delivery and timely hand back well within requirements and expectations.
Technical Planning & Preparation:
- Develop and assist time/chainage or programmes of works for core work activities;
- Populate resource schedules in line with programme requirements;
- Develop the train matrix planning for stage-works using spoil and ballast calculations;
- Formulate stressing plans, locations, stressing considerations, structure loading and clearances;
- Develop the WPPs, Task Briefing Sheets & mitigation plans;
- Develop Staging Diagrams and information to communicate the delivery plan. Present this information to the construction teams;
- Control technical budgetary constraints; including resource, materials & equipment requirements;
- Lead site visits and collection of information relevant to the delivery;
- Preparation and presentation of products required for project T- reviews of the plans.
Design Constructability Reviews:
- Safety by Design reviews (construction) to confirm safety of the proposed construction works to include review of, lift, slue & cant analysis, staging feasibility, ballast calculations, IBJ, welds and gauge clearance;
- Explore opportunity to improve the design with regard to efficiency, budget and engineering focus;
- Liaise with the Client, Principal Designer and Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) of any concerns/technical queries regarding design data.
- Management of Critical Rail Temperatures (CRT) information on all sites;
- Ensure all interfacing activities are understood and coordinated with track activities to avoid conflict and clashes;
- Process external design data into standard templates to enable effective setting out and installation; including generation of Technical Sheets, ITPs, As Built sheets, ALC/Matisa tamping files & 3D design files (e.g. Terramodel);
- Manage and implement the effective setting out of the renewal installation including 3D control methods;
- Manage, maintain and record calibration certificates for all surveying and other equipment to required quality;
- Development of Inspection & test plans (ITPs) and ensure approval of each;
- Ensure the implementation of ITPs to monitor and record compliance of the construction works assurance that work is completed and documented complaint to LU standards, specifications & company procedures;
- Ensure the technical assurance and compliance of track works to standards, specifications and Track Quality;
- Ensure the recording of as-built details on drawings and documents in support of the project handback and completion;
- Identify and record Non-Conformances and Snagging Items and positively contribute to timely closeout;
- Produce Health & Safety file information (known as MAID)
Technical Change & Problem Solving:
- Identify potential variations to contract and opportunities for added value to the Senior Delivery Engineer / Renewals Manager;
- Plan and optimise the work on a day to day basis;
- Deliver the Project to time and within cost targets, interfacing with other disciplines as appropriate.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities & Experience
Important Skills & Experience:
- Minimum HND/ONC or Degree equivalent;
- Good on-site delivery experience;
- Proficient in reading and interpreting design drawings and supporting information;
- In-depth knowledge of P-Way design, drainage design, 3D surveying and setting out;
- Up-to-date knowledge of plant and equipment;
- Proficient knowledge of project planning and resource management;
- Knowledge of ISO quality systems;
- Communication skills, both written and verbal;
- BTA (and PTS). LU ICI;
- Proficient in the use of surveying and gauging equipment;
- CAT scanning competence;
- Computer literate:
- Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook;
- 3D control software (e.g. Trimble Business Centre) & Tamping software;
- Level 2 or 3 stressing;
- CDM Regulations awareness;
- Practical tamping and dozer and machine control.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Considerable Technical Permanent way Experience;
- Handback Certified;
- Full UK Driving Licence.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
For an example of the exciting work our rail teams undertake click here:
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.