About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Project Manager to join us to work in either Dartford, South Mimms or Leatherhead.
- Project Management of Renewal and/or Improvement Project Projects from Inception to Close Out located across the entire Network. Project types include Pavement projects, Safety improvement projects, Structures refurbishment, Geotechnical and Drainage works;
- Project Managers will be liaising with all Stakeholders for each project with particular focus on meeting requirement of Highways England (HE) and Connect Plus (CP) as primary Clients;
- Project portfolio delivery to time, cost, quality and delivering the agreed outcomes with full supporting documentation to allow project close out;
- Working with Framework Contractors for project execution in accordance with the implemented Collaborative Management strategy;
- Application of innovative and efficient design and construction methods to all projects;
- Support delivery of all projects in accordance with Zero Harm plan implemented by business.
- Deliver the portfolio of Improvement and Renewal projects to the agreed outcome of CP and/or HE objectives.
What you'll be doing
As a Project Manager you will:
- Be responsible for a number of projects at different stages of the project life-cycle;
- Commission and manage internal and external resources in terms of quality, budget and programme;
- Manage end to end project progress from asset team, designers, sub-consultants, construction team and contractors;
- Manage schedule and resolve delivery issues for each project;
- Manage cost plan for each project;
- Routinely report schedule, current spend and financial forecast of each project to HE and CP;
- Report detailed status of each project at HE monthly meetings, including schedule and cost forecast;
- Liaise with Planner, Construction Manager, Project QS and Designers to develop individual project schedules and budget estimates;
- Liaison with Asset, PMO and Service Delivery teams as necessary;
- Maintain MS Project schedule to identify milestones and completion dates for tasks and teams;
- Assess, mitigate and manage progress, finance and delivery risks;
- Ensure key project enablers are implemented, TTROs, Road Space Bookings, Local Authority Consultation etc;
- Ensure project transfer and ECI meetings occur;
- Prioritise critical path activities and manage resources accordingly;
- Adhere to project governance procedure and ensure all necessary supporting documentation is prepared and presented;
- Coordinate all phases of the renewals and improvements process.
- Ability and willingness to travel to other offices and depots on the network as and when required;
- Periodic requirement for site visits (night shift);
- Full Driving License.
Who we're looking for
- Project Management Experience preferably supported by recognised PM qualification, PRINCE2, APMP etc;
- Preference of minimum IEng qualification registered with Engineering Council and membership of appropriate professional institution (ICE or IHT) or working towards such qualification;
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of Highway or Structures Engineering and associated design areas;
- Understanding of H&S Requirements related to Highway Engineering;
- Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation;
- Competent in exercising the duties under CDM
- CSCS Card;
- Understanding of Environmental requirements of projects;
- Knowledge of the NEC Contract and other relevant forms of contract;
- Knowledge of Quality Management;
- Knowledge of HE procedures.
- Proactive problem solving;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong safety management culture;
- Self aware and adaptable style to meet varying project needs;
- Presentation skills;
- Team building skills;
- Ability to prioritise and self manage;
- Ability to develop relationships and engender trust;
- Demonstration of commitment to ongoing personal development via CPD.
- Experience of managing project delivery to existing highway or structures assets in a live operational environment or transferable experience from a comparable role;
- Recent experience of coordinating interfaces with other disciplines and design teams;
- Experience of managing projects through complete life-cycle;
- Experience in the design and construction of highways or structures project.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.