About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Gas Design Engineer to join our Multi Utilities Team. Although this role is currently based in Manchester we have a little flexibility around location and welcome applications from those in the North West and West Midlands.
Our Multi Utilities Team support both internal and external clients. We offer expertise in the management of onsite utilities that have the potential to clash with major projects. Our current pipeline of work includes several schemes for HS2, Anglian Water AMP7 and some major diversions for a 250m upgrade to Junction 10 of the M25.
As a Designer in the Gas Industry your role will offer you opportunities to work with and learn from experienced people who share a passion for working together with our clients to deliver technical excellence. You will help us grow our team of experts and deliver projects for HS2 and major internal clients.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for the following:
- Autonomous submission of your deliverables on time and to budget
- Production of all relevant calculations
- Maintain highly detailed project diaries to support the PM with timely Early Warnings and Compensation Events
- Commit to supporting our deliverables within a BIM Level 2
- EnvironmentImplement project requirements to fully meet the client specification and in accordance with relevant standards
- Prepare own discipline designs, support the production of drawings and schedules to the required quality
- Contribute to the production of Project Management Plans
- Support the preparation of scheme evaluations, design statements, tenders and any other required deliverables
- Have a good understanding of all relevant standards, Codes of Practice, Health & Safety Legislation and current relevant design methods
- Awareness of BIM
- Engage in client, contractor and third party liaison, including review of third party design proposals
- Support learning and development of graduates and other team members.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Previous construction site experience
- Gas network analysis experience or knowledge
- Experience in the design of gas network schemes up to 7bar
- Diversion and resilience projects Strong gas background
- People management and leadership
- Strong communication skills, adaptable to stakeholders
- Willing to take the lead proactively
- Experience in civil engineering; deep excavations, earthworks, temporary works, structures
- Experience in the design of gas network schemes up to 2bar
- NVQ Level 4 Gas Network Eng Mgmnt Des
- City & Guilds 5831-80 qualification in Gas Network Design and 2 years relevant gas network experience
- Post Graduate Qualification in mechanical, science or construction based topic
- Time served relevant experience
- CAD 2D and 3D (primarily civils 3D)
- BIM Modelling
- Extensive use of Electronic Document Systems (BC, Projectwise etc.)
- Competence in BIM model viewing/reviewing essential
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.