About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join our Regional team to work in Crewe.
- To manage and successfully deliver projects within the business;
- To manage customer relationships, and retain customers by meeting and exceeding expectations.
What you'll be doing
As a Project Manager you will:
- Manage the project team and supply chain to deliver projects to time, cost, and quality targets and BB standards;
- Ensure safety targets and standards are maintained;
- Knowing what safety excellence looks like and communicating safety with passion and credibility, in order to inspire, motivate and manage the project team to achieve the vision;
- Fostering a continuous improvement culture by actively seeking input from all members of the project team and encouraging them to implement safety improvements;
- Ensure sustainability targets are achieved;
- Actively engaging with the customer to understand and deliver their key sustainability objectives;
- Promoting Sustainable Solutions around all operations, particularly those related to efficient management of Waste, Energy and Water;
- Leading effective Community Engagement Plans and Skills programmes where required;
- Manage the customer relationship during delivery, including change and decision making to manage expectations;
- Ensure the Company and Divisional procedures and policies are followed by the relevant teams, i.e. the Business Management System, including the Process Operating Model;
- Manage external consultants (e.g. design) to enable delivery driving value, customer focus and achievement of the projects objectives;
- May manage or input into any post completion issues to maintain a positive customer relationship and repeat business performance levels;
- Ensure effective records are maintained and kept for project delivery;
- Report periodically to Senior Management on project progress, risks and issues using robust reporting systems to meet the needs of the business;
- Manage and deliver operational excellence and efficiency;
- Appropriate use of leadership indicator health check reviews through the Bid, Pre-construction and Construction phases of the project;
- Ensuring rigorous monthly project improvement processes are in place'
- Thorough implementation of planning, risk, project controls and change controls
Implementation of Lean principles throughout the project to drive productivity, performance and safety;
- Ensuring Lean Visual daily management meetings are carried out to drive project performance;
- Implementation of best practice commercial management;
- Understand how to implement BIM to optimise project delivery and drive safety, particularly through the use of 3D design and 4D (3D design and time) virtual construction simulation and how to use visualisation to support collaborative integrated teamwork;
- Understand the relevant Contract terms and conditions for each project;
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of the CSUK Sustainability 2020 road-map.
Who we're looking for
The following experience/qualifications are essential:
- Previous experience in project management within the construction sector ideally highways;
- The ability to communicate effectively is required to manage customer relationships, in addition to strong planning and organisation skills to deliver operational excellence and efficiency;
- Some experience of leading teams, and confidence in the ability to lead, influence and communicate with others to deliver targets are required;
- Financial awareness is required to deliver targets, with a desire to continuously improve safety and sustainability performance;
- An appropriate and valid CSCS card is required.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- NEC Option A or C contract type experience;
- Experience of Lean Construction principles and Lean practitioner training are desirable;
- A relevant professional qualification, such as APMP, and a relevant technical qualification are desirable.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.