About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Senior TW Designer to join our Major Projects team to work in Canary Wharf, London.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior TW Designer, your main responsibilities are as follows:
- Manage a detailed portfolio of complex projects as the TWD
- Reviewing temporary works design briefs and manage allocation of work
- Review of temporary works design briefs and manage allocation of work
- Able to undertake both repetitive and complex structural engineering /geotechnical calculations
- Prepare and deliver temporary works designs, to time and budget
- Ensure all time sheets are completed on time, and strive to achieve agreed recovery targets
- Provide expert technical support and contribute to methodology workshops, buildability sessions and VE workshops to identify innovative, cost effective strategies and solutions
- Ensure design risks are considered and Design Risk Assessments are prepared
- Ensure Design Risk Assessments are reviewed carefully if acting as a design checker
- Ensure contractual and procedural design assurance processes are followed
- Input to improvement of the BMS where required
- Assist design assurance on projects through conducting audits, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern
- Engage with all relevant stakeholders to understand wider influences of delivery of work
- Ensure good feedback from our customers is received and share improvements with the team
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions for site
- Meet regularly with the TWC, attend interviews, and incident investigations as necessary
- Attends peer reviews as necessary
- Advise on methodology costs and participate in design option reviews
- Actively contribute to developing and sharing knowledge and best practice across BB
- Support the company Group Safety by Design & Engineering (knowledge sharing) forums
- Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure that BB maintains its position at the forefront of the industry capability
- Undertake internal project work to improve the effectiveness of the team
- Coach and develop less experienced team members
- Exercise designer obligations of the Construction Design & Management (CDM) Regulations 2015
- Manage workload for Design Engineers, CAD Engineers, Technicians and Operators
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline (Masters preferred).
- Relevant experience (Typically 5-10 years), with a thorough knowledge of engineering principles
- Achievement of CEng MICE, or similar equivalent, is preferred
- Up to date CPD records
- COMAEA technical engineering rating generally level C
- Knowledge competence level - Has an understanding of how the COMAEA competence element and can applied to projects and can evaluate the value to projects
- Experience competence level - Has managed others practising the COMAEA competence element in a number of projects
- Keeps abreast of the latest technical knowledge in the industry
- Strong numerical capability and ability to assimilate data, review and report
- Skilled in Microsoft Office products (especially Excel) and analytical software (Autodesk, Bentley and others)
- Has excellent report writing skills
- Pays attention to detail and will see tasks through to completion
- Has excellent communication and listening skills with all levels of personnel
- Is a team player with good interpersonal and influencing skills
- Is innovative and seeks continuously to improve knowledge and services
- Current CSCS card
- Demonstrates the BBV behaviours
- Ensures a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Collaborates relentlessly
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
From wind farms to railways, through tunnels and over bridges; our design and construction teams have been successfully delivering complex projects for over 100 years.
We have a proven record of delivering and managing tailor-made infrastructure and construction schemes for each of our customers. Our recent schemes have included the London 2012 Aquatics Centre, Heathrow Airport's Terminal 2B, Whitelee Windfarm and the White City Development Substation.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.