About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for an Assistant M&E Manager to join us to work in Dartford.
The role is for an Assistant M&E Asset Manager who will take responsibility of the whole life design and management of the Mechanical & Electrical assets across the M25 DBFO Co. network which includes 5 tunnels (Hatfield, Holmesdale, Bell Common and the East and West tunnels at Dartford) and potential future involvement in Lower Thames Crossing and Heathrow tunnels.
What you'll be doing
As an Assistant M&E Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Assist in managing resources in the Technology and Tunnels M&E team to deliver the agreed outcomes;
- Oversee and mentor supporting staff or less experienced designers;
- Assist in managing external resources to deliver the agreed outcomes;
- Agree the briefs, programmes and budgets with manager and Project Manager;
- Allocate tasks to other members of the team and monitor progress and costs;
- Prepare briefs, designs, reports, specifications and other deliverables for Technology and Tunnel M&E schemes to budget and programme;
- Monitor and check designs and ensure they meet the brief;
- Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the expected levels of quality;
- Seek innovation in the delivery of schemes and techniques used in design and construction
- Ensure the Integrated Management System is actively applied to all designs;
- Deliver a variety of schemes and provide advice on programme and budget;
- Provide professional and technical competence;
- Identify schemes that need to be included in the Five Year and Whole Life Programmes;
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of the business Sustainability activities;
- Assist with the development of a comprehensive asset management strategy for all Technology and Tunnel M&E assets within the DBFO Co. network to ensure maximum value from the assets taking into account sustainability;
- Collaborate and engage with Highways England technology teams to optimise performance and reporting procedures;
- Work with project delivery and service delivery and maintenance teams to achieve high performance and effective asset management delivery. Work with groups consisting of engineers, surveyors, quantity surveyors, clients and consultants.;
- Implement rigorous systems and approaches to data collection, management and integrity.;
- Support stakeholder relationship management and engagement associated with asset management and related wider objectives, to support the delivery of the overall programme.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Qualified to degree level with substantial experience of working in the field of Highways technology and or Tunnel Management/SCADA systems;
- Ability to manage complexity and change, be creative and innovative in finding solutions;
- Knowledge and experience of asset planning supported by technical analysis and business case;
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral;
- Able to build rapport and relationships quickly;
- Have the ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team including management of supply chain through procurement and delivery stages;
- Be flexible and adaptable;
- An eye for detail;
- Be able to plan and prioritse;
- Membership of an appropriate professional institution;
- Project management skills;
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of M&E related design and maintenance standards and best practices;
- Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation;
- Competent in exercising the Principal Designers and Contractors obligations under CDM and ability to manage health, safety & wellbeing in relation to use, maintenance and renewal of Tunnel M&E facilities;
- Attain/possess appropriate CSCS card registration;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Knowledge of design standards (DMRB / MCDHW etc.);
- Knowledge of the use of computer design and asset management applications;
- Broad knowledge of Quality Management and IMS;
- Knowledge, design and drafting capabilities in AutoCAD and BIM;
- Knowledge of HE procedures;
- Recent experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Consultation experience with HE, Local Councils, Emergency Services and key stakeholders;
- Must hold a valid UK Driving Licence.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.