About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for an Assistant Quantity Surveyor to join us to work in Dartford.
What you'll be doing
As an Assistant Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Carry out tasks as instructed by various members of the Commercial/Quantity Surveying team, such as measurement for valuations
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company QHSE procedures and work instructions
- Assist in the management and maintenance of the contract cost reporting system as directed by the line manager
- Prepare cash flows for payments in and out
- Assist in the preparation of accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value
- Assist with sub-contract tender process and support the preparation of sub-contract documentation
- Prepare payment certificates notices and communications for sub-contract work
- Assist with the preparation of interim applications for payment
- Assist with the valuation of variations
- Assist with the preparation of valuations and claims, ensuring that they are supported by relevant records
- Assist in the preparation of accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on the project(s) in line with the Companys reporting process
- Identify potential risk and opportunities and escalate these as appropriate
- Carry out all activities so as to comply with BMS and Group Minimum Commercial Expectations
- Where appropriate and where used on the specified project, assist with the utilisation of BIM to support progress monitoring, provide commercial reporting and incorporate information to support change management, variations orders and encourage
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of the business Sustainability activities
Who we're looking for
You will have:
A minimum of HNC level or equivalent in Quantity Surveying with a track record of highways maintenance preferabl. Membership of a relevant professional body and/or working towards a relevant professional qualification is desirable, such as RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/InstCES. A valid CSCS card is required. A Full UK/European Driving Licence is required.
Individuals will require:
- Awareness of the tendering process
- Awareness of the various forms of contract used across the industry
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial management of Construction projects and the
construction process in general
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles
- Awareness of the requirements to provide and obtain Insurance, Bonds and Warranties
- Proficiency in administration, writing, numeracy, IT and MS Office
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Enthusiasm and results focus, together with an ability to work well under pressure and to tight
- Effective negotiation skills with both internal and external customers
- Willingness to alter working patterns to reflect the needs of 24/7 stakeholders.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge. With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.