About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager to join us to work in our South Mimms, Leatherhead and Dartford Main offices.
- To act as project lead and take overall responsibility for the successful delivery of a project and/or portfolio of projects. Working within tolerance be responsible for delivering safely to; budget, quality and programme.
What you'll be doing
As, Senior Project Manager, you will be responsible for the following:
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities;
- Motivate team and manage performance; monitor the competency of team members and undertake training/ coaching as appropriate;
Health Safety & Environmental
- Lead safety culture;
- Ensure systems are in place and allocates responsibility for actions under PMP;
- Leads safety meetings;
- Assess stats from observation and incidents and acts to improve standards;
- Able to lead an Accident / Incident Investigation (HFACS and Four Page Report);
- Carries out trend analysis and identifies improvement areas from audits and near misses;
- Carries out field audits and confirms the sufficiency of control documentation.
- Guides & coaches subordinates in technical requirements;
- Guides and coaches subordinates in resolution of construction issues, drawing on experience and accepted industry best practice.
- Ensure QPD is produced and maintained each month;
- Ensure ITPs are in place and Field 360 is fully utilized;
- Carries out trend analysis of the above and identifies improvement areas for non-conformance and business improvement;
- Carries out Independent Inspections of their own section and of others;
- Carries out Site Audits to check works and documentation compliance;
- Coaches less experienced staff;
- Liaise with designer to resolve technical issues.
- Responsible for ensuring accurate programme is produced and maintained;
- Ensure Short Interval Control is implemented;
- Tracks and monitors KPI compliance and recommends improvements to systems to maintain team production.
- Responsible for cost and monitoring against overall allowance;
- Produces a budget from the resourced programme and monitors / reviews weekly costs;
- Involved in the procurement of subcontractors;
- Manages sub-contractors;
- Produce correspondence to sub-contractors, suppliers and Client.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately. Suggests and implements improvements to systems;
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity; experienced at encouraging direct reports to do the same and managing a team to ensure tasks are carried out effectively and key messages cascaded;
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights;
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility;
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card. SSSTS or SMSTS qualified;
- Excellent team player, able to work competently and independently without continuous supervision;
- Strong communication skills with good interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Solution orientated approach to issue resolution;
- Excellent role model for development of team members and demonstrates required behaviours to align to project and team objectives;
Health Safety & Environmental
- Understands method statements and risk assessments, able to develop new and improved safe systems of work;
- Understands the principles of Accident / Incident Investigation and has good working knowledge of the process;
- Good working knowledge of current H&S Legislation.
- A full understanding of technical requirements and techniques of setting out and coaching of team members;
- Allocates correct resource levels and identifies additional requirements;
- Track record of solution orientated approach to issue resolution.
- Understands the Organisational Business Management Systems and processes;
- Strong understanding of requirements for handover, including certification.
- Able to produce a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software;
- Able to measure and track KPIs for enhanced productivity;
- Strong knowledge and management of construction process in one or more of the following areas: Earthworks/Drainage, Pavement, Comms, Structures, Roadworks
- Awareness of procurement practice;
- Experienced at producing detailed records and correspondence for commercial recovery;
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Good leadership skills;
- Wide ranging independent judgement evident;
- Has achieved professional accreditation (eg ICE, IHT).
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.