About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Foreman to join our Highways team to work in Reading.
To provide leadership and control of a team comprising Junior Foremen and Gangers.
What you'll be doing
As a Foreman, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of CSUKs Sustainability activities
- Motivate team and manage performance; monitor the competency of team members and undertake training/ coaching as appropriate
Health, Safety & Environmental
- Carries out Safety & Environment Tours as required by the Project H & S Plan
- Contributes to Accident / Incident Investigations. Directs the appropriate action arising (HFACS and Four Page Reports)
- Appraises improvement options and leads action / instigates as appropriate
- Keeps up to date with changes in legislation and cascades information to the supervisory team
- Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health & Safety and Environmental Policies
- Ensures that their staff receive or have access to copies of the Environmental Policy and are kept informed of environmental developments and issues
- Ensures that the Environmental Policy and appropriate parts of Environmental Procedures are effectively communicated to the workforce, particularly to those engaged on activities that have been identified as likely to have a significant environmental impact
- Seeks to improve levels of safety at every opportunity
- Ensures that sufficient resources are allocated to the Works Section and that each has an appropriate level of ability
- Identifies and arranges training as required
- Implements systems and processes to manage the quality of the constructive works
- Periodic involvement in working groups focused on Improvement Areas
- Takes ownership of tasks and quality requirements
- Inputs into the setting of targets and KPIs in line with Project objectives and monitors performance
- Works with the Team Lead to ensure appropriate action is taken on findings from site audits / checks
- Implements relevant Business Management systems and processes
- Ensures ownership of Handover Documentation for the works and implements ITP processes to improve quality management on site
- Ensures that a culture of Right First Time is adopted
- Carry out Quality Tool Box Talks
- Able to carry out analysis of programme Understands the Project KPIs and is able to make suggestions to improve performance
- Apply skills and knowledge to assist engineering teams in planning stage programmes
- Implements and tracks the requirements of three week programmes and coaches others in ensuring programme requirements are fully understood, suggesting improvements as appropriate
- Involved in the procurement of subcontractors and advises on commercial aspects / preferred attendances
- Ownership of budget for the directly employed labour and plant, attends and reports on actual levels of resource in weekly cost meeting. Pursues correct allocation of plant and labour to assigned tasks
Who we're looking for
The following qualities and experience are essential:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity; experienced at encouraging direct reports to do the same and managing a team to ensure tasks are carried out effectively and key messages cascaded
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights, as required by the programme
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility
- Holds a current driving license SMSTS and CSCS Gold Card
- Must be a good team player, with experience of working with multi-discipline teams
- Excellent communication skills, with strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Proficient IT skills
Health Safety & Environmental
- Understands Protocol with regard to Accident and Incident investigation
- Experienced in leading Safety & Environment Tours
- Experienced in planning shifts in line with EU regulations and section 61
- Uncompromising approach to the development, implementation and management of safe systems of work
- Good working knowledge of current H & S legislation
- Proficient in the application of Company Systems
- Innovative approach to enhancing safe systems of work
- Experienced in the delivery of engaging toolbox talks
- Experienced in resource allocation and up skilling
- Understands the relevant Business Management System and implements systems and processes Understanding of construction tolerances
- Understands and implements the requirements of Inspection and Test Plans
- Encourages ownership within the team and fosters a culture of Right First Time
- Able to take off and schedule material quantities accurately
- Experience of planning and managing project creep
- Understands the specific terms, conditions and outputs of relevant subcontractors and suppliers
- Produces and monitors the daily records, including holding reviews with team members to ensure proper record standards are maintained
- Understands material wastage allowances and recommends improvements to save materials
- Working knowledge of the NEC and other relevant forms of contract and able to develop professional relationship with Client representatives
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Excellent role model for the team and demonstrates required behaviours to align to business objectives
- Highly experienced in the delivery of high profile road projects, to ensure that customer expectations are exceeded and enhanced experience for all involved in the scheme
- Solution orientated individual with experience of analysing options to identified issues
- Experience in taking ownership of the works from start to finish, including the handover of the works
- Experience of leading a team
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.