About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Temporary Works Designer to join our team to work in Birmingham.
Responsible for delivery of a coordinated and integrated temporary works design to meet project requirements
What you'll be doing
- Coordinating the temporary works design with the permanent works designer and other members of the design and construction teams.
- Supporting the temporary works design leads in developing designs and identification of the requirements for temporary works alongside the development of preliminary scheme designs and full detailed design.
- Designing, checking and reviewing a range of temporary works both above and below ground.
- Supervising and coordinating CAD Technicians and junior temporary works design and technicians.
- Support to the permanent works (PW) designer providing advice on buildability.
- Managing the health and safety risk, reviewing the method statement and work plans alongside other construction documents.
- Participating in technical meetings providing support to the construction team by providing buildability advice.
- Ensuring the design meets the HS2 Environmental Minimum Requirements, including all requirements for environmental mitigation.
- Ensuring technical queries are raised in a timely manner and seek early resolution to avoid impact on the design programme.
- Maintaining an up to date design risk register and close out prior to final technical assurance stages.
- Ensuring work is undertaken in accordance with the BIM Execution Plan, ensuring that design information conforms to the necessary standards and can be shared for use in 4D and 5D planning and cost estimation.
Who we're looking for
- Professional qualification in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Ideally Chartered Civil Engineer of near to be Chartered
- Previous experience of designing Temporary Works is considered essential.
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2's Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people's personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures; creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.