About the role
Own your career, and you can build something to be proud of at Balfour Beatty. By joining our Rail team as a Design Engineer, you'll work with true experts wholl share their knowledge and provide support, encouragement and invaluable feedback so you never stop learning. Bring us your capability, and well help you take it much, much further.
What you'll be doing
As a Design Engineer, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Development and implementation of Power Systems Traction design proposals ensuring they meet client requirements including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the client. The design should deliver:
- Quality within affordable parameters
- Ease of maintenance, energy efficient with minimum environmental impact
- Innovation to meet client goals and positive impact on the local community
- Responsible for the design and delivery of design and assurance on one or more project(s), ensuring compliance with latest standards, project technical work scope and the relevant Company processes.
- Ensure effective control of project design to meet client requirements, within budget and programme constraints utilizing established, appropriate Company processes and techniques
- Provide advice and guidance on the technical compliance of the design proposals to the design teams
- Proactively contribute to the Risk and Value Management process
- Development of the design deliverables programme:
- Attend gate reviews activities to ensure appropriate that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each project gate.
- Attend the co-ordination and production of design data, bid deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the programme and contractual requirements
- Ensure that contracted work is suitably designed, assured and certified by qualified persons
- Responsible for project design approvals, providing guidance and direction on any varying circumstances and ensure that effective and detailed records are maintained to support claims.
- Ensure that programme commitments are being met, and take action to establish priorities and deal with problems regarding timescales, when required
- Provide effective reporting on design status and key design issues
- Undertake designated role duties within rail projects
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- The individual will ideally have previous relevant experience in AC and DC power design with Network Rail and/or London Underground experience preferred. Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- The individual should have a desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the Major Projects business.
- A degree (or equivalent) in an Electrical discipline is required and professional membership of IET is desirable.
- Understanding of customer relationship management processes
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to implement and drive performance improvement using lean tools, KPIs and visual management
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Rail business has an extensive legacy of rail expertise. Our teams safely deliver complex projects, from consultancy and design to all aspects of construction and maintenance. Using advanced plant and machinery, and unique innovations, we provide end-to-end solutions for our customers.
Our aim is to improve the passengers experience, and our teams create better journeys by increasing network capacity, improving reliability, and making our railways more efficient and sustainable.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/