About the role
The opportunity to create is all around you. Whatever your level, whatever your role, whatever the project, you'll be able to take initiative here and get stuck in. Join our Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick team as a Mechanical Project Engineer and shape something special.
Role Purpose; To support the overall implementation of the engineering strategy and framework for the designated project.
What you'll be doing
As a/an Mechanical Project Engineer, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Support the senior project team in the overall implementation of the engineering strategy and framework for the designated project
- Manage materials, plant and labour within the allocated budget and resources, ensuring their safe, effective and efficient delivery of service on the project
- Ensure all systems, design information, procedures and quality systems are effectively communicated
- Support the project delivery teams, verifying the work of others, providing technical support
- Lead or support assurance on projects through conducting audits and regular meetings with project teams, identifying best practice, areas for improvement and areas of concern, including matters relating to safety, finance or quality
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant customers including technical consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site
- Maintain personal expertise and knowledge to ensure that the company is at the forefront of the industry both technically and in using the latest technologies and standards
- Provide coaching and motivation to the project team, to deliver high performance on the project and create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that the engineering is efficiently managed so that it is fit for purpose from conception right through installation and maintenance; recognising site conditions and constraints and taking into account CDM, other statutory regulations and customer requirements
- Ensure the efficient operation of procurement, material control policies and procedures; providing assistance in producing accurate and current procurement schedules and cost information/reports (where required)
- By using the principles of quality assurance, and where appropriate technical Integrity, ensure the customer requirements are clearly understood and that Quality Control mechanisms are in place that provide assurance that the asset and/or service delivers as designed/required
- Contribute to the accurate and efficient provision of progress and productivity reports weekly and monthly to senior management, in accordance with company procedures
- Provide concise and accurate feedback on project performance against estimate to the estimating function (where required)
- Seek to understand and implement the appropriate digital tool sets to support the project execution
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Ability to gain a high level security clearance (BPSS / SC Clearance)
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline and a relevant professional qualification, such as MICE or MCIBSE, an ONC/HNC or equivalent knowledge is required.
- Previous Mechanical engineering experience and a subject matter expert in the discipline of engineering discipline is required.
- Up-to-date relevant knowledge of engineering and of industry best practice, appropriate to the relevant discipline, is required.
- A valid CSCS card is required.
- Focused and thorough with the appropriate skills to advise senior management when something needs immediate redress together with the tenacity and drive to ensure that the necessary action is taken.
- Previous management experience within the construction or relevant support services industries, together with a strong understanding of technical issues and trends in the relevant sectors, including specialist markets is required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners and delivery team members under time pressure, and a customer centric, flexible approach.
- A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on engineering excellence, the customer and the business is required.
- An understanding of BIM and how to read and assemble BIM models and produce appropriate reports from them is desirable.
- DfMA design, manufacture and installation - would be of a great advantage
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick (BBK) is a market leading mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP)and mechanical, electricaland instrumentation (ME&I) solutions provider with over 100 years of engineering expertise.
We design, install and maintain the systems that make building infrastructure work. Emphasising environmentally efficient technologies, digital construction and offsite manufacturing, our experienced teams deliver high quality solutions across the following sectors: Aviation, Buildings, Civils, Defence, Energy and New Build Nuclear.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/