About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Advisor to join our talented and friendly Highways Team based at our Hyde office. This role will see you managing and ensuring that the A57 Link Roads scheme complies with all environmental legislation, consents, objectives, targets and other environmental commitments and planning requirements. You will also provide timely environmental sustainability assistance, advice, guidance and training to Project Staff.
What you'll be doing
- Produce, review and update the Environmental Management Plan (EMP) Appendix C of the Project Management Plan, Waste Management plan, Opportunities and Risk Assessment, Sustainability Action Plan, Low Carbon Plan and specialist procedures as appropriate.
- Coordinate and undertake regular Site inspections with the construction teams to monitor compliance with the environmental licenses/consents for the works and environmental plans and procedures; implement follow-up corrective actions to ensure compliance with UK regulations and legislation.
- Preparation and submission of Amendments to the Projects Section 61 Consents in conjunction with the Construction Teams.
- Assist Operations Team and Supervisory Staff in undertaking project related Work Package Plans method statements and risk assessments in line with Balfour Beatty requirements.
- Undertake Environmental compliance evaluations, inspections and audits at prescribed intervals record outputs and liaise with site management to ensure actions are completed.
- Investigate environmental incidents and near miss events in accordance with Balfour Beatty standards to identify and share lessons learned. Monitor and report to line management the implementation of actions to prevent recurrence.
- Coordinate and manage toolbox talks and environmental inductions to all staff involved in the construction of the scheme.
- Develop and deliver environmental training for site personnel.
- Assist with the development of emergency and safety procedures and training of staff in the use and disposal of spillage control equipment, as required.
Who we're looking for
- Environmental Degree or related discipline (preferred) or NEBOSH Environmental Diploma or IEMA Certificate
- Understanding of the construction and civil engineering process, including constraints and requirements of specialist heavy-civils operations (e.g. piling, earthworks, lifting, pavement, drainage etc.)
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Strong understanding of environmental management in a construction environment
- Experience of chairing meetings, both with the workforce and supply chain
- Strong and effective communication skills to deliver key environmental messages
- Valid Driving Licence
Why work for us
Our people are our biggest asset, and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package in addition to a competitive base salary and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beatty Highways delivers major schemes including smart motorway upgrade programmes, complex national infrastructure projects and regional investment programme works for National Highways. We have a strong orderbook and a positive pipeline of opportunities, we put our customer, the road user, at the heart of everything we do. We work safely, delivering net carbon reductions and social value to the communities within which we work.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/