About the role
Amazing infrastructure isnt the only thing that gets built here. Incredible careers do too. Join our Living Places team as a Quantity Surveyor on the West Sussex highways scheme and you can build something to be proud of.
- Experience in managing all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects;
- Will be supporting other more senior members of the commercial team in delivering the varied commercial duties as well as being responsible for procuring and managing our supply chain;
- Actively seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality for our Customers.
What you'll be doing
As a Quantity Surveyor you will:
- Orders information and systematically checks data.
- Measure, record & value work unsupervised in accordance with appropriate rules and procedures.
- Measure & interpret specifications & drawings;
- Build up estimates from first principle including net and gross estimates;
- Translate measurement from drawings and Specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities and Schedules of rates.
- Review weekly, monthly, section programmes of works;
- Plan commercial activities to meet requirements of section programmes;
- Have an understanding of delay and disruption programmes.
- Collation of Cost and Value Information;
- Preparation of Cost reconciliation statements.
- Collation of cost and value information;
- Measurement of works and agreements with subcontractors.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
The following qualifications are essential:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results);
- Previous Commercial Work experience;
- Industry knowledge.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
The way we live our lives is changing fast: where and how we live, work, travel, shop, relax and socialise. The evolving nature of our society means we all need to shape our environment to meet a complex array of individual and collective needs.
Living Places works in partnership with Local Authorities to consult, finance, design, build and manage the essential place infrastructure that local communities and national economies need to prosper and grow.
We are right at the heart of a dynamic place shaping agenda that brings Local Authorities, local communities, Central Government, and the Private Sector together to create safe, sustainable, flexible and dynamic public spaces geared to community social need, economic growth and personal well-being as well as being environmentally sustainable.
The provision of maintenance services for highways is only a small part of what is really needed. Our focus has moved beyond the road to deliver the potential of the street: a dynamic public place that connects and combines local community and business needs, encourages social interaction and helps pedestrians, motorists, bus riders, and cyclists to coexist safely. Building great public spaces with resource efficient assets enables functional, flexible and inspirational places to be at the heart of the community.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.