About the role
- As a member of the @one Alliance Senior Commercial Leadership Team you will report functionally to the Head of Commercial and influence the businesses out performance across commercial, finance estimating, procurement and programme management
- Leading the Water/ Water Recycling Commercial team you will develop commercial, management and leadership skills and awareness within your team, driving positive commercial behaviours across the business.
- Maximise the financial and commercial interests of projects across the project by managing and controlling all commercial activities throughout the life cycle of a project on and off site, including; commercial risk, supply chain, contract management, change management, expenditure, delivery on time and outperformance opportunities.
What you'll be doing
As a Commercial Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Be an integral part of the Senior leadership team for the business unit, providing front line commercial support.
- Building strong relationships with the business unit team and the key stakeholders for the alliance.
- Accountable for the continued development and succession planning of you and your commercial team.
- Working closely with Anglian Waters Contract Management and Commercial Assurance Team ensuring robust and lean contract management processes are in place and adhered to.
- Managing Anglian Waters project governance, ensuring projects never expend above their governance levels by managing change, risk and opportunities through your team.
- Building positive relationships with the @one Alliance supply chain, driving incentivised outperformance with our framework contractors, ensuring they are supported in upholding their contractual requirements of notifying early warnings, submitting timely programmes, cost to complete forecasts and applications.
- Review and approve high quality contracts that set out clear works information and contractual terms that ensure the client, the Alliance partners and the supply chain are clear of their liabilities and obligations under the contract.
- Accountable for the Water programmes budget, expenditure profile and forecast.
- Ensuring all projects meet their Delivery Milestone deliverables and deadlines.
- Actively leading the continual improvement of the @one alliance commercial processes, with development of automated reporting.
- Develop and deliver the AMP7 White book savings to deliver shareholder expectations.
- Challenge and recommend actions to achieve and improve efficiencies, and create an environment of outperformance
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Qualified to degree level in a relevant discipline
- Experience of managing large commercial teams delivering project programmes in excess of 50m/annum
- Experience from working for a Principle Contractor
- In depth commercial and financial process & systems understanding, preferably in a contracting environment, of large scale multi million-pound capital construction projects
- In depth knowledge and experience in managing NEC3 PSC and ECC contracts with the client and the supply chain, with emphasis on Option C
- Proven ability in delivering business objectives at a strategic level
- Proven experience in developing best practice
- Ability to shape the future @one commercial delivery strategy
- Professional commercial qualification ie RICS/ ICES/ CIOB
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group has been a member of Anglian Waters @one Alliance since 2004, delivering several major water projects.
The @one Alliance is a collaborative organisation of consultants and contractors working together to deliver more than half of Anglian Waters capital investment programme.
The Anglian Water @one Alliance will design and build around 800 schemes worth approximately 1.5billion between April 2020 and March 2025, known as AMP7 the current five-year investment period, working closely with Anglian Water operations teams and other key stakeholders.
The contract is for the entire five-year regulatory period, from 2020 to 2025, with extensions which could take it to 2030, making it one of the longest collaborations in the sector. It operates within an alliance of delivery partners set up by Anglian Water.
As a stakeholder within the Anglian Water @one Alliance, Balfour Beatty provide both design and construction services across the whole of Anglian Waters region, which is the largest by geographic area in the UK, stretching from the Humber to the Thames estuary and from Buckinghamshire to the East Coast. Work is mainly focussed on clean water Infrastructure (water mains), but also includes wastewater infrastructure and both water and wastewater non-infrastructure projects, such as treatment works and pumping stations.
Working across the UK, Balfour Beattys Gas and Water teams provide expertise and experience to support a stable and safe supply of essential gas and water services. Amongst our vital work, we service clean and waste water mains, maintain water treatment facilities, and expand and renew underground gas mains in often busy and high-impact areas.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/