About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Construction Manager to work on our Joint Venture with Bachy Soletanche to deliver the geotechnical works required along the approximately 90km of route from Leamington Spa to Lichfield.
The works comprises extensive geotechnical works including:
- Circa. 9km of Diaphragm Walls at 9 individual structures.
- 28No. Secant/ contiguous structures totalling 150,000 lin. m of piling
- Plunge Columns, Tension Piles, Ground Anchors, Soil Nails and Ground Improvement
- 103No. Piled bridges & viaducts.
This is a key infrastructure project and with circa 100m of spend per annum
What you'll be doing
- Ensure that the process strategy and in particular the culture of SB3 and its impact on project delivery is clearly communicated understood by site staff teams.
- Work with the Project Manager to oversee all site activities including logistics, temporary works, plant and people interface to ensure safe execution of the works.
- Manage the programme for the deployment of site staff and plant to the projects.
- Build a good working relationship with the various project departments to ensure that the correct plant and tools are selected and delivered to the project sites in a timely manner and that they are fit for purpose.
- Ensure that all work carried out on site is in strict compliance with the work procedures and the BMS
- Partner all projects within the area of responsibility to ensure the right quantity, quality and skills mix of operatives are provided within agreed timelines both at site set up and during the full life cycle of the project
- Ensure apprentices and workforce are fully developed to maximise their competence
- Work closely with the whole process team (to include operations, preconstruction, commercial, plant, resource, QA and design), to ensure an effective and efficient project delivery.
- Ensure that all the operations team comply with the Balfour Beatty Business Management System through support and audit.
- Manage, develop and coach site teams to ensure that deliverables are met.
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Minimum of Managers & Professionals level CPCS Qualification
- Clear customer focus, drive and ambition
- Ability to effectively manage conflict and negotiation
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people at all levels across the organisation and externally.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Management
- Experience in delivering major infrastructure projects
- Knowledge of training requirements within the BMS
- Understanding of piling and diaphragm wall techniques
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Project Management qualification
- Strong computer skills - focused on Excel / Word / PowerPoint and ideally and ideally conversant with other software, e.g. MS Project.
- Previous management experience in a similar Geotechnical environment
- Experience of working with a blue-collar workforce
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering offers a range of services across the construction sector, from piled foundations to ground improvement, testing and analysis. We have established our reputation through our integrated design approach to every project, from the small to the very large.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/