About the role
Join our Rail team as a Civil Design Engineer and you'll deliver complex work that really matters to our business, and the world around you.
We work on a hybrid basis throughout most of the UK. We offer a flexible working model which allows employees to work from a variety of different locations.
Our projects are more than just your opportunity to make your mark. Theyre an opportunity to stretch, test and develop your expertise.
What you'll be doing
As a Civil Design Engineer, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Undertake and deliver the design of structural renewal and maintenance projects from inception to design completion, including undertaking structures assessments, managing site investigations / surveying and planning
- Prepare technical reports and draft specifications for remedial and improvement works
- Direct technical staff engaged in design and assessment works and undertake such work personally
- Manage projects, or parts thereof, allocated providing monthly update of progress for client report
- Accept full financial, site investigation, survey, design, assessment and programming responsibilities for the implementation of projects allocated
- Oversee the development of all design and construction contracts to ensure compliance with required standards as well as current safety legislation
- Provide deliverables and a service that satisfies safety and quality requirement
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- Must have a recognised degree or HNC in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- Candidates should be working towards membership of the I.C.E. at Incorporated Engineer level or above
- Experience in design and / or construction with the emphasis on railway structure design and maintenance
- Knowledge of Engineering Drawing Practices
- Must have a basic knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and how it impacts on the industry
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Rail business has an extensive legacy of rail expertise. Our teams safely deliver complex projects, from consultancy and design to all aspects of construction and maintenance. Using advanced plant and machinery, and unique innovations, we provide end-to-end solutions for our customers.
Our aim is to improve the passengers experience, and our teams create better journeys by increasing network capacity, improving reliability, and making our railways more efficient and sustainable.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/