About the role
Our diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategy Value everyone, drives action to improve diversity in our organisation and create an inclusive culture. It promotes high performance, engagement and makes Balfour Beatty a great place to work. We encourage innovative and fresh ways of thinking, allowing every employee to be themselves and perform at their very best.
Our projects are more than just your opportunity to make your mark; theyre an opportunity to stretch, test and develop your expertise. Our work matters to millions. Itll matter to you too. Join our Rail team to work in Western Region as a Commercial Manager and you'll be a big part of fascinating, complex, varied and meaningful work. Hybrid working and flexible working requests will be considered for this role.
- Provide leadership to the commercial team, managing a portfolio of work including projects and frameworks
- Optimise commercial performance through diligent Contract management, drive value, management of risk and accurate cost control;
- Assist with commercial relationships to both internal and external stakeholders;
- Support regional operation director in delivering the region's budget;
- Assist with the internal management and approvals for the Gate process.
A Commercial Managers is responsible for the financial management of standard projects from inception, tendering to, negotiating and agreeing contracts, and then commercial delivering Projects often worth many millions of pounds. They are an integral part of the project delivery team where they hold key responsibilities associated with the commercial and financial success of each project. Commercial managers are experienced individuals who have risen through the ranks of the industry and their role is broad and includes anything from risk management to procurement, financial reporting and managing the supply chain. They will have proven skills in commercial awareness, client liaison, project management and team leadership. They will also have an extensive understanding of the construction industry, flexibility and a talent for negotiation. Typically they will have a track record of managing and developing a commercial team.
What you'll be doing
As a Commercial Manager, you will:
- Have the ability to see the bigger picture;
- Be willing to take initiative to respond to customer requirements;
- Understand how economic factors that affects the construction industry;
- Provide commercial input to Value Engineering reviews for different forms of construction;
- Manage the feedback of commercial data to Planning and Estimating;
- Support the review tenders & cost data;
- Manage the preparation of Target Cost for a Project;
- Co-ordinate the commercial team to ensure programme issues are identified and actioned;
- Manage the preparation and review of Earned Value Management
- Manage the preparation of the monthly CVR and associated commercial reports;
- Be able to report and explain the commercial progress to senior divisional staff;
- Manage the feedback of commercial data to Planning, Estimating, Marketing and Sales;
- Establish client supply chain requirements & advise on alternative forms of contract & procurement arrangements;
- Formulate management plans for resource procurement;
- Have an awareness of disputes resolution including options, structure as well as knowledge of the SCL Protocol;
- Apply legislation and have the ability to liaise with legal experts;
- Prepare Estimates & Tender submissions including the interpretation of specifications & preambles;
- Represent the financial and contractual interests to your employer and/or client in progress meetings or the like;
- Undertake co-ordination of buying, accounts, production control/planning, supply chain management & procurement techniques, estimating & surveying functions;
- Manage and report on Commercial Risk and Opportunity;
- Carry out management of disallowed cost;
- Have experience in the recruitment and retention of staff;
- Liaise with all parties to ensure task/project remains on plan.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent;
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB;
- Strategic change Management;
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results);
- Business and Customer Awareness;
- Promotes organisational aims & objectives;
- Manages customer needs;
- Manages opportunities & threats;
- Knowledge of Rail and Civil Engineering projects is an advantage.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Rail business has an extensive legacy of rail expertise. Our teams safely deliver complex projects, from consultancy and design to all aspects of construction and maintenance. Using advanced plant and machinery, and unique innovations, we provide end-to-end solutions for our customers.
Our aim is to improve the passengers experience, and our teams create better journeys by increasing network capacity, improving reliability, and making our railways more efficient and sustainable.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/