About the role
Own your career, and you can build something to be proud of at Balfour Beatty. By joining our Highways team as a Site Engineer on the A1M1 in Leeds you'll work with true experts wholl share their knowledge and provide support, encouragement and invaluable feedback so you never stop learning. Bring us your capability, and well help you take it much, much further.
To undertake Site Engineering control and implementation of works on site, including monitoring and reporting of progress.
What you'll be doing
- Production of Task Briefing Sheets
- Contribution to production of Permit to Dig, including briefing to the workforce
- Carries out associated briefings
- Carries out Safety Inspections
- Hazard Identification and contribution to development of Safe System of Work
- Setting out from primary control provided by others
- The provision of sketches detailing the setting out information installed
- Maintain survey equipment including registers of equipment and testing regimes
- Read and determine information from drawings, schedules and specification
- Production of as-built drawings & records for every element of the works involved in
- Completion of Quality Check Sheets and production of information for Handover Documentation in a timely manner in line with programme
- Maintaining accurate records Daily Diary, photographs, records of site discussions
- Measures actual materials used and reconciles with theoretical measure, reporting and investigating reasons for differences
- Works to Weekly Programme (drafted by others) and marks up progress achieved weekly
- Contributes to collection of data for Key Performance Indicators, including reasons for difference
- Production of accurate daily diary of resources, including labour, plant, materials, subcontractors and outputs
- Produces weekly measure. Take offs and schedules materials accurately, producing accurate and clear requisitions, following through to delivery
- Understands what is classified as additional work and understands how to record this
- Familiar with actual resourcing levels versus budget and reporting of reasons for difference
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card
- Must be a good team player, with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Understands Permit to Dig System
- Environmental awareness
- Setting out techniques ability to use level & EDM, plus GPS
- Able to report issues with control and information provided
- Reads and understands drawings and schedules
- Understands Activity Control Plans and production of resultant information for handover file
- Strong understanding of construction tolerances
- Awareness and use of Specification and other Contract documents
- Able to produce detailed documentation for handover of completed works
- Able to take off and schedule material quantities accurately
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/