About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Facilities Manager to join our Highways team to work in the South East (Dartford, Leatherhead or Potters Bar).
What you'll be doing
As a Facilities Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Manage and lead all works associated with facilities and premises to ensure minimum disruption to core activities
- Direct, coordinate and plan essential services such as, but not limited to, planned and reactive maintenance and repair of buildings and office equipment (non-IT), cleaning, catering, vending, waste disposal and recycling, grounds maintenance, utilities and communications infrastructure
- Ensure buildings meet health and safety requirements and that facilities comply with legislation
- Ensure that contract requirements relating to the maintenance, repair and upkeep of premises are adhered to
- Prepare documents to put out tenders for contractors
- Procurement and contract management, check that agreed work by staff or contractors has been completed satisfactorily and follow up on any deficiencies. Project manage, supervise and coordinate the work of contractors
- Plan best allocation and utilisation of space and resources for new buildings, or re-organising of current premises
- Calculate and compare costs for required goods or services to achieve maximum value for money
- Plan for future development/refurbishment in line with strategic business objectives
- Work towards the Zero Harm objectives
- Ensure the safety of all personnel within the project facilities
- Compliance with all relevant legislation.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Background in facilities and experience of managing contracts across multiple sites
- Interpersonal, relationship-building and networking skills
- Procurement and negotiation skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritise your workload
- Confident decision making
- Time management skills
- Project management skills
- Ability to draw information from various sources, including people
- Clear and concise writing skills and the ability to handle long and complex documents
- Teamwork skills and the ability to lead and motivate others
- IT skills
- Practical, flexible and innovative approach to work
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Ideally require British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM) or Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) accreditation
- A Full Driving Licence will be required.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.