About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Shift Manager to join our Connect Plus team to work in Leatherhead and Swanley.
- Management of a large team of Maintenance, Incident Support and Emergency Response Operatives on the M25 DBFO Network. Ensuring that all Operatives are thoroughly briefed on the works they are to undertake, conduct site visits to ensure staff are working safely, efficiently and effectively. Responsible for all aspects of people management of the directly employed workforce.
What you'll be doing
AS a Shift Manager, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Responsible for the delivery of Zero Harm objectives by increasing our awareness of risks, driving risk mitigation, and leading by example to embed a proactive safety culture across Service Delivery and our supply chain;
- Support delivery of Our Road to 2020 Business Plan Objectives in Service Delivery by striving to meet their PDR objectives, and setting aligned and SMART objectives for direct reports;
- Prepare and deliver suitable works briefings, which adequately identify the work methodology, highlight the onsite hazards & risks along with control measures to be implemented;
- Ensure that all work activities (both highways & structures) are adequately managed ensuring that the identified;
- Works methodology is adhered to and control measures are implemented in accordance with the briefing;
- Positively engage with directly employed and subcontract workforce to highlight issues with the methodology and / or identified control measures and together develop a solution which enables works to be completed in a safe and efficient manner;
- Ensure that a detailed debrief is completed for all works activities (both highways & structures) at the end of each shift so that any identified issues can be resolved and lessons learnt are fed into the delivery of future work activities;
- Take an active role in the compliance of Contractual requirements including Primary Response, Secondary Response, reactive & planned preventative maintenance, Environmental Protection Act 1990 and Severe Weather;
- Review dashboard reports and identify priorities, issues and opportunities. Carry out pre-site inspections of all defect sites and planned preventative maintenance (highways & structures).
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- CSCS card holder - Supervisor
- NVQ Level 3 in Highways Maintenance
- Previous experience in highway maintenance on a live motorway or All Purpose Trunk Road (APTR) network
- Knowledge and experience of Health, Safety, Environment and Quality standards within a highways context
- Knowledge and experience of traffic management on high speed roads
- Competent user of MS Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent)
- Current UK driving license
- Knowledge and experience of Severe Weather and Incident Management
- Proven experience of managing & leading multidisciplinary teams
- The ability to communicate verbally with clarity and authority to engage operatives, colleagues and management
- The ability to write clear and understandable briefings and handover notes, and keep full and accurate records
- Experience of vehicle restraint systems
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Current UK driving license LGV Class 2
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.