About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Health and Safety Advisor (12 months FTC) to join us to work in South Mimms, Potters Bar.
- Responsible for providing HSE assurance to the business and Parent Companies by leading safety through challenge, support, re-enforcement and strategic delivery.
What you'll be doing
As, Health and Safety Advisor , you will be responsible for the following:-
- Providing assurance to JV Parent Companies that the business has a suitable and sufficient Safety Managemnt System that is understood and complied with by all staff;
- To be the business leader in HSE related matters;
- Undertaking regular strategic reviews of the Safety Management and Environmental Management Systems and recommend/implement actions required as a result of those reviews;
- Setting annual HSEQ objectives;
- Ensuring adequate HSEQ resources;
- Providing Health and Safety support and advice to the Managing Director and Senior Management Team;
- Providing contract support for delivery of the Zero Harm Journey Plan;
- Communicating with Enforcing Authorities;
- Providing a focus for cross contract co-ordination;
- Providing assurance to JV Parent Companies that the business has a suitable and sufficient Safety Management System that is understood and complied with by all staff;
- Contributing to industry working groups (HTMA, HSOG);
- Carrying out site inspections and audits Health and Safety to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Safety Management System;
- Other functional Health and Safety duties as required;
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values;
- Ensuring a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Supporting the delivery of Connect Plus Services Sustainability activities.
Who we're looking for
The following experience and qualifications are required:-
- Degree qualified, NEBOSH diploma or equivalent and ideally be a corporate member of IOSH with substantial experience in the highway maintenance, construction or similar complex risk industry;
- Able to develop and lead a strategic and sustainable Health & Safety programme in a large, complex organisation;
- Able to ensure best H&S practice is an integral part of corporate strategies, contracts and operational plans;
- Experience of changing culture through leadership, coaching and mentoring at all levels within an organisation along with a focus on continuous improvement to maintain a positive HSE culture and system;
- Experience of financial and budgetary management and control.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.