About the role
Are you a Highways Maintenance Operative looking for a new and exciting opportunity? If so read on.....
Balfour Beatty currently have an opportunity for a Highways Maintenance Operative to join our Highways Emergency Response Team (ERT) to work in Swanley, Kent.
As part of the Connect Plus Services business based in Swanley, working on the M25, one of the busiest sections of road in the UK and one of the most important, you will be responsible for maintaining all aspects of the M25 network, such as; fixing potholes, repairing barriers, assisting the emergency services, litter picking, winter maintenance and much more.
The successful candidate will be required to work on a 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift rota (5am-5pm/5pm-5am).
To be considered for this opportunity, you MUST have Traffic Management (TMF/LTMO) and a Level 2 NVQ - Safety Fence Barrier qualifications.
What you'll be doing
As a Highways Maintenance Operative you will:
- Undertake activities, as instructed, with capabilities to ensure that your area of responsibility is maintained. This will include but not exclusive to:
- cyclical maintenance graffiti removal
- carriageway repairs,
- soft estate maintenance (eg grassland maintenance)
- litter picking,
- sign maintenance
- safety fence repairs
- boundary fence repairs
- civil engineering or building tasks of minor remedial nature (eg headwall repair)
- any other duties allocated by Line Managers.
- Implement Chapter 8 compliant Traffic Management in line with CPS policies, method statements, risk assessments and industry standards.
- Provide accurate and legible written and verbal communication in the form of reports and records as required.
- Use mobile communication/data devices to accurately input data for record purposes to form reports and business records as required
- Undertake routine vehicle checks and maintain accurate and up to date driving records in line with legislation in accordance with CPS procedures and legislation.
- Taking due care of any CPS property including but not limited to tablets, vehicles and radios.
- Raise awareness of issues which may affect the safe operation of the network and report these as observed.
- Check that Traffic Management signs, equipment and materials are carried on vehicles in line with current Maintenance checklist and are in working order, restock and record and report defects as appropriate.
- Participate in Winter Service rota as required
- Attend training courses as required
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you will have the following qualifications (Essential):
- UK Driving Licence, minimum category C (LGV Class 2)
- Driver Qualification Card
- CSCS Operative Card
- FISS card
- Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Highways Maintenance
- Traffic Management Foreman (TMF) qualification/Lead Traffic Management Operative (LTMO)
- NHSS Sector 2 A/B Fencing qualification Lead Installer Status (to be appointed by the CPS)
- ROLO Sector Scheme 18
- NHSS12A/B 1 Day qualification
- 12AB For Static Temporary Traffic Management on High Speed Roads and All Purose Trunk Road (APTR) network
- NHSS Sector 2 A/B Fencing qualification
- Unit 518 (formerly unit 13) Winter Service Operations and unit 580 (formerly unit 80) Snowplough/ V blade
- Appropriate lifting qualification
- Vehicle Marshall
- 12AB Impact Protection Vehicle Courses (IPV)
- Disc cutter/abrasive wheel
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.