About the role
Balfour Beatty is currently recruiting for a Highways Maintenance Structures Operative to join the CPS team who manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25, based in Leatherhead
In this varied role you will be responsible for undertaking a wide range of specialist highways maintenance tasks as required associated with Structures and other specialist areas.
Successful candidates will be required to work to a shift pattern including days and nights (where applicable).
What you'll be doing
As a Highways Maintenance Structures Operative you will:
- Carry out all type of civil and building works with or without direct supervision
- Undertake maintenance activities within capabilities with or without direct supervision. This will include but not exclusive to
- - Minor repairs to structures
- - Civil engineering or building tasks of a minor nature
- - Graffiti removal
- - Installation of traffic management
- - Vehicle safety fence repairs
- - Boundary fencing
- - Carriageway repairs
- - Grassland maintenance
- - Litter
- - Sign maintenance
- - Winter maintenance
- Complete any records as required, including daily worksheets, and maintenance report sheets
- Drive vehicles as required, for maintenance purposes
- Observe all safety procedures and instructions
- Carry out any other duties within the capacity as required by the Line Managers
Working arrangements (shift work, need for travel etc)
- Shift work-days and nights when required;
- Be required to participate in an out of hours call out rota and undertake winter maintenance.
Who we're looking for
- UK Driving Licence, minimum C+E (suitable training may be provided if necessary)
- Experience of working within a civil engineering or building field
- NHSS sector 12B Traffic Management Operative or willing to undertake further study to achieve the qualification
- Working on a live motorway or APTR network
- Knowledge of current Health & Safety legislation
- NHSS Sector 2 safety fence qualification (desirable)
- First Aid, Abrasive Wheel Plant/small tools training (desirable)
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.